Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this help - Carb cycling question page

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

Will this help - Carb cycling question

At the moment most days I am VLC, like under 50 g a day, and I feel 100% doing this, even going to CrossFit 5-6 days a week.

If I wanted a bit of a boost in weight loss, would having some higher carb days (up to 150 g) with good carbs like sweet potato etc help? Like alternate days? Or is that pointless, is a week or a few days at a time with the same carb level better?
    Hope someone understands what im asking LOL

Oh I still have around 30 kg to lose, if this is relevant.

Or alternating zero carbs days with slightly higher (up to 150 g)

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    How do you feel with VLC? If you feel fine, your energy level is good or better, then I wouldn't recommend carb cycling. Currently my carb intake is low, and I feel fine, but whenever I feel like I'm slugging through my days, I up the carbs for a day or 2 and it seems to help.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Yeah I feel 100% fine, and losing weight slowly (well waist is going down, not actually weighing) but I just feel like I need a bit of a boost. I guess I am kind of impatient, and I know I shouldn't be, but I just am starting to like what I see, just a little, and just want to get this done :/

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Your lucky....I also have around 30kg's to lose but I feel absolutely awful going VLC. I get really moody, tired and fatigued and can barely manage a walk let alone something like Crossfit!! I have still been doing it none the less to try and get the weight off and in 6 months I can say I haven't lost a thing (going for 1 hour walks 4 x week and weight training 3 x week) :-( I have read some amazing info on this site over the past few days and there has been info indicating that doing VLC for long periods of time can affect your thyroid (mine has slowed down as I have been taking my temperature a few times daily and it has been over a degree under normal every time). I have started increasing my carbs (fruit and starchy veggies) and already my temperature has begun to increase so I am going with this!! Low or impaired thyroid function = lowered metabolic function = weight loss stalls. I am hoping like hell that this works as I am feeling so much better and suprisingly I've also been able to function without coffee!!! I will also be carb cycling from here on in to see how it works. I'll be eating higher carbs, lower fat on weight training days (these are the days I really feel it if I am low carbing as I can't lift bugger all) and higher fat, lower carbs on cardio days..........My fingers are crossed!! Good luck with everything :-)
    Last edited by TARNIP; 04-10-2012 at 03:03 AM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Keep crossfit to 2-3 sessions per week, relax, play, enjoy the sunshine. You won't lose weight while you're stressed
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Keep crossfit to 2-3 sessions per week, relax, play, enjoy the sunshine. You won't lose weight while you're stressed
    +1

but, i do think the occasional refeed has a lot of benefits, and can certainly aid in fat loss. the usual advice is to make them your heavy lifting days, and reduce the fat intake on those days. obviously, you'll want to stick with primal foods like sweet or white potatoes, white rice, veggies, fruit, squashes, etc. and pair them up with leaner meats. since you're doing crossfit 5-6 days a week, i wouldn't try to schedule refeeds for heavy lifting days unless you know what the WOD is ahead of time. instead, just eat higher carbs once or twice a week and see how it goes.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    What I've read around here is the carb cycling shouldn't start until you are pretty close to your natural optimal weight. Of course, some of the people who have said that have recanted the idea of ever going low carb at all. I did notice mid-way in the weight I've lost so far that there was a day where I ate a little extra rice (a few sushi roll pieces and some hot chocolate with butterscotch liqueur and some dark chocolate) and noticed that it seemed to help give my weight loss a little boost. But it wasn't anything like the kind of big giant carb cycles you read about around here. Just a little extra at a couple potlucks on the same day.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like a weekly refeed with zero carbs/high fat several days a week. If you haven't lost that much weight why bother with Crossfit? Why not switch to walking & lifting weights as PB suggests.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast