Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to determine grams of carbs while looking at a salad. page

Warmbear is offline Senior Member

How to determine grams of carbs while looking at a salad.

Shop Now
    Heya, I have just started this wild ride and am having a hard time understanding how to figure out how much veggies is 50 to 100 g of carbs. I assume it is not a mass weight of the salad in question as there is water and fiber etc involved, so how do I do it?

Warmbear

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    It's a SALAD.... I don't really count leafy greens and raw veg. I just limit my portions of starchy veg and tubers.
    YMMV.

The best way to get a feel for estimating is to spend time actually looking up the nutrition amounts for the ingredients you are going to use and MEASURING them.
    It's kind of inconvenient when you are in a rush, but it can be done ahead. Like putting 2-3 cups of salad greens into bags and so forth for other ingredients such as red peppers. And after a while you'll know pretty much at a glance what you are tossing onto your plate without measuring anything.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    It is a lot...eat all the veg you want.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    It's a SALAD.... I don't really count leafy greens and raw veg. I just limit my portions of starchy veg and tubers.
    YMMV.

The best way to get a feel for estimating is to spend time actually looking up the nutrition amounts for the ingredients you are going to use and MEASURING them.
    It's kind of inconvenient when you are in a rush, but it can be done ahead. Like putting 2-3 cups of salad greens into bags and so forth for other ingredients such as red peppers. And after a while you'll know pretty much at a glance what you are tossing onto your plate without measuring anything.
    This is very good advice. Register on one of the nutrition measuring sites (I use CronOmtr but there are heaps of them online) an go to the trouble to make a basic salad for yourself, weighing and measuring everything, and enter it as a new recipe. Then you have the values for that, and can just add whatever extras you put in (eg anchovies, boiled egg etc).

I enter all my regular recipes, it makes it easy to keep check on how much fat/carbs/protein I am consuming.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    Heya, I have just started this wild ride and am having a hard time understanding how to figure out how much veggies is 50 to 100 g of carbs. I assume it is not a mass weight of the salad in question as there is water and fiber etc involved, so how do I do it?
    don't bother counting the carbs in vegetables in your salad. carbs should be counted in sugary or starchy foods only. generally, unless your salad is chock full of sugar beets and balsamic vinegar, you should not worry about your salad.

carbs from fruit or tubers are what count. fill up!

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Counting carbs in a salad?

It's time to check in to the asylum...

My Carb Sane-Asylum: You Need to Check into the Asylum if ...

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Counting carbs in a salad?

It's time to check in to the asylum...
    evelyn rants and gets way too worked up, but man - she's priceless!!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I doubt there are many carbs at all to be worth counting in a leafy green salad unless you are piling on a sugary dressing and topping it with massive amounts of non-green stuff like breaded fried meat and croutons.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Sigh, Thanks for all the advice but I fear I was less clear than I thought. I said salad as a metaphor for veggies of any kind, I guess I was not clear and Think of this as a mental exercise for me, a newb to play with. I know I can eat as much leafy stuff as I wish, the question was how to calculate the carb load of what I was thinking of eating.

I do not wish for the time being to go much over 75 grams a day, in my case seeing as I hate veggies of most kinds. I need some idea of how much I have to choke down to get there. I know wrong attitude but there ya go. Man can't live on meat alone now can he?

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Focus more on counting grams of sugar. If your salad contains raw vegetables that are green, you're good to go. Dressing wise, pick olive oil or balsamic vinaigrette. There is a lot of focus on "carbs" as a blanket statement. What's important is limiting full blown sugar intake from stuff like fructose (that is not coming directly from fruit), especially since most things you find that have sugar added, have it added in the form of High Fructose Corn Syrup.

There is a world of difference between Fructose and Glucose. If you're at a salad bar at a restaurant, there's a good chance that the ham and other meat toppings have HFCS in them along with other crap.

Total carbs isn't as important as blood sugar impact. 50 grams of HFCS will affect your blood sugar a LOT more than 50 grams of Glucose. There are good and bad fats, proteins and carbs. If you're eating CLEAN then you really don't have too much to worry about other than not eating a huge baked potato everyday mixed with a gigantically fatty 1lb steak.

Center your meal around meat on your plate. Add green stuff (vegetables) and add a little starchy stuff on occasion (like carrots, sweet potato, stuff that isn't green). Eat the meat and the green stuff first then move on to the occasional starch. You'll be more full, and less likely to eat it all. Meat and green stuff will control your appetite/blood sugar.
    Last edited by Catharsis; 04-10-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast