Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to reach maintenance range page

gkb89 is offline Junior Member

How to reach maintenance range

Shop Now
    Hi there!
    I'm going to start eating primal these days but I have a question:
    How can I reach the mantainance carbs range?

I'd like to start really light because of my ulcerative colitis so I'd like to introduce only meat (chicken, turkey, beef, etc...) and veggies.
    I don't have weight problems: I'm even too skinny for the quantity of grains I eat so I'd like to reach the mantainance range to keep my bodyweight.

How can I reach the 100-150 g range? It seems like all the veggies can't even get near to this range.

Can I add fruit at the end of every meal? For example an apple or any other fruit (only one).
    I'm asking this because I read that fruits have to be eaten moderately, so I'd like to know if three servings per day is too much.

Let me know and thanks in advance for the answers!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gkb89 View Post
    Hi there!
    I'm going to start eating primal these days but I have a question:
    How can I reach the mantainance carbs range?

I'd like to start really light because of my ulcerative colitis so I'd like to introduce only meat (chicken, turkey, beef, etc...) and veggies.
    I don't have weight problems: I'm even too skinny for the quantity of grains I eat so I'd like to reach the mantainance range to keep my bodyweight.

How can I reach the 100-150 g range? It seems like all the veggies can't even get near to this range.

Can I add fruit at the end of every meal? For example an apple or any other fruit (only one).
    I'm asking this because I read that fruits have to be eaten moderately, so I'd like to know if three servings per day is too much.

Let me know and thanks in advance for the answers!
    Rice and potatoes should help.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I like Starchy tubers, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets and veggies with some substance. I can tolerate white potatoes and rice well too. Tonight after my lifting workout My wife is preparing stuffed peppers with free range ground turkey and white rice!!
    I don't really count carbs. Most days I will probably eat less than 50g and occassionally I may hit 150-200g. It averages down to keep me about the same but losing a pound every other week or 3. I am closing on what I weighted in the USMC. WHich was 176 at 6'
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

gkb89 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Rice and potatoes should help.
    I have an autoimmune disease (ulcerative colitis) so I can't tolerate these foods so well.
    I like Starchy tubers, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets and veggies with some substance. I can tolerate white potatoes and rice well too. Tonight after my lifting workout My wife is preparing stuffed peppers with free range ground turkey and white rice!!
    I don't really count carbs. Most days I will probably eat less than 50g and occassionally I may hit 150-200g. It averages down to keep me about the same but losing a pound every other week or 3. I am closing on what I weighted in the USMC. WHich was 176 at 6'
    As I said previously, I can't tolerate most of the foods you eat. For this reason, I'd like to start with very basic things and, over time, try to extend the diet.
    But the carb intake is too low so I was wondering about a way to increase it without adding all these complex and dangerous (for me) foods. For this reason I asked about fruits!

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    You may have to go on an autoimmune rehab for a while and after being strict for a few months with none of the irritating foods introduce one at a time to see what you can tolerate.

Everyone is different. My wife gets ill from regular potatoes but can do sweet potatoes. I do better if I avoid the skins on russetts. but the starchy part is of no issue to me. Seed oils make me go into digestive distress shortly after accidental consumption.

You may have to stay lower carb for some time as you heal and experiment to find what works for you. There is not perfect one size fits all template when dealing with digestive issues.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gkb89 View Post
    I have an autoimmune disease (ulcerative colitis) so I can't tolerate these foods so well.
    Ah. Do you tolerate fruit well?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    You might find that sweet potatoes and bananas are good.

I'm surprised that you can't tolerate white rice well. You might want to try soaking it overnight.

Bear in mind that as your gut heals you will be able to tolerate foods that you were unable to previously. This has been my experience. So it will hopefully be beneficial to focus on healing your gut with probiotics and beef gelatin, and avoiding inflammatory foods, especially high omega 6 foods. Cooked veggies are generally easier on the gut than raw. Leafy greens are OK, but anything else should be cooked.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    As I underdstand it fruit isn't really restricted in any way unless you are trying to lose weight, and eating with a meal is the best time to eat anything with sugar in it as you are more likely to maintan stable blood sugars. At the end of the day it's what works for you, if you are under weight and like fruit and you tolerate it then go for it, go on, have a banana while you are at it.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Since you have two issues here, I'd suggest you first try lots of different high-carb foods to see if you tolerate them well, and then once you've gathered a list of them, eat plenty of them each day.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you might doing the GAPS diet (if not, look into it). I would second the opinion of staying low-carb for the time being and focusing on healing your gut. You don't have to eat a certain amount of carbs to gain weight. Eating plenty of calories from fat will accomplish the goal just as easily, if not more so. I think Mark's carb curve doesn't apply to everyone, more so to the overweight and especially those with damaged carbohydrate metabolism (diabetes).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast