Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: too much fat?? page 2

  1. #11
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,518
    Quote Originally Posted by acass View Post
    I guess basically my question is what are the healthiest sources of fats and how many grams or nuts
    would be ok in a day?
    It depends on your goals - but many people here get 40-60% of their total calories in the form of fat -some are a bit lower some are higher.

    Great choices for fats include fatty cuts of meat, salmon, butter (or ghee), coconut oil, avocados, olive oil, lard, and beef tallow.

    Nuts have a less than ideal fatty acid breakdown and should not be used as a primary source of fuel.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  2. #12
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by acass View Post
    what about hemp, chia and flax seeds??
    You don't need them. If you must have them, use them more as condiments.

  3. #13
    Koda65's Avatar
    Koda65 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1
    Any opinions on this article. It's saying high fats are linked to color cancers etc

    Refined carbohydrates and excess fats may drive the insulin gene in colon cells to promote cancer : Disease Proof

  4. #14
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Koda65 View Post
    Any opinions on this article. It's saying high fats are linked to color cancers etc

    Refined carbohydrates and excess fats may drive the insulin gene in colon cells to promote cancer : Disease Proof
    There's so much bad science in there I literally don't know where to start.

  5. #15
    XGrains's Avatar
    XGrains is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    61
    Most nuts are very high in Omega-6 and very low in Omega-3. So consuming lots of nuts will put this ratio out of balance.

  6. #16
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,064
    Fatty cuts of meat will be more than 60% fat by calories, so start by choosing good fatty bone in cuts of meat. From there it pretty much falls into place. I probably eat about 65% of my calories/day from fat without even trying to "add it in".

  7. #17
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,187
    Quote Originally Posted by acass View Post
    I guess basically my question is what are the healthiest sources of fats and how many grams or nuts
    would be ok in a day?
    Your best sources of fats are grass-fed beef, butter and cream, pastured chickens, eggs and pork and cold water fish. You are trying to do this vegetarian. You will not succeed.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

  8. #18
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Koda65 View Post
    Any opinions on this article. It's saying high fats are linked to color cancers etc

    Refined carbohydrates and excess fats may drive the insulin gene in colon cells to promote cancer : Disease Proof
    Really? This is your first post here?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

  9. #19
    jojohaligo's Avatar
    jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wet Coast of Canada
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Fatty cuts of meat will be more than 60% fat by calories, so start by choosing good fatty bone in cuts of meat. From there it pretty much falls into place. I probably eat about 65% of my calories/day from fat without even trying to "add it in".

    I have been keeping track so that I can gauge how much I eat over time and on average I was surprised to find out that I eat 60% from fat....with no nuts....and as you say "without even trying." Amazingly I am getting leaner.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

    Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

  10. #20
    Rattybag's Avatar
    Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Norwich UK
    Posts
    412
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by XGrains View Post
    Most nuts are very high in Omega-6 and very low in Omega-3. So consuming lots of nuts will put this ratio out of balance.
    flaxseed though is very high in omega 3!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •