Thread: Homemade chicken stock HELP! page

miniGrokette is offline Member

Homemade chicken stock HELP!

Shop Now
    Hey everybody! I've been thinking it would be really convenient for me to be able to make soups at home. That being said, I am a college student and organic/grass-fed is not always in the budget. I'm also a little intimidated by the whole process. Does anyone have any recommendations about how to do this easily? Also any input on vegetable stock would be nice too. Thank you!

P.S. I am almost always cooking for one, sometimes two. What are good portions for that?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a slow cooker? It makes life a lot easier. Portions are hard to say; if I've done a chunky soup I'll eat less than a thinner soup. Gradually I learn how many ladles makes "a bowlful" then I can do a big batch and freeze in knotted plastic foodbags.

Stock essentially is boiling up bones with some flavourings.
    So for a chicken carcass I break it up a bit, shove it in the pot, halve a small onion (only peel off the papery skin), add a bay leaf, and a splash of white wine vinegar/cider vinegar. Pour over enough boiling water to cover the bones, put lid on, give it 2-4 hours (I don't like over-cooking chicken stock). It's ready when it smells yummy!

Vegetable stock - anything goes EXCEPT brassicas/crucifers (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower etc). If you use a certain brand of stock cube, see which veggies they use. I'd start with carrot, onion, celery, bay leaf, leek? See how it goes.

KatieCHI is offline Member
    I used this chicken stock recipe with the carcass of a rotisserie chicken in a regular stew pot, but without the bay leaves. Worked really well, then I poured 2 cup portions into plastic baggies and froze them.

Homemade Chicken Stock | Mark's Daily Apple

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    Watch tropical traditions stock in crockpot video. Its super easy.

Bottle leftover stock in mason jars and freeze (cool in fridge overnight to prevent cracking) for soup anytime. That a way you can make stock for a few days, then use/freeze and start again later.

Its super easy!!!!!
    Put chicken carcass w/some meat in slow cooker (higher capacity one), add one onion, four celery ribs, and four carrots. Don't add too many seasonings, you want to season your soup later not your broth now. Add a little bit (1-2 tsp) of apple cider vinegar. Turn crock on to 10 hours or low. Reset as necessary. Strain out stock in a day or two. Repeat process w/same carcass if desired, or throw it out if you have enough. Don't spend any time cutting veggies for stock- they can be rough diced or just thrown in. You will not use them later so don't make 'em look pretty.

P.S. Stock keeps a VERY long time in the fridge. I have used mine up to three weeks later and it is still fine. But you should probably freeze it within a few days if you are not using it.
    Last edited by EvansMom; 04-09-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: extra info

if you're looking for a quick way, then try the pressure cooker!

Quick Pressure Cooker Bone Broth | Nom Nom Paleo

Nom Nom Paleo rocks my culinary socks off. Just saying.
    "Fat gives things flavor." -Julia Child
    "It's perfect! Even if it's not, who cares. No excuses." -Julia Child

A cast iron skillet is a lifestyle, not a tool.

My sunshine and bacon filled journal

kmodell is offline Member

Chicken Stock

Quote Originally Posted by miniGrokette View Post
    Hey everybody! I've been thinking it would be really convenient for me to be able to make soups at home. That being said, I am a college student and organic/grass-fed is not always in the budget. I'm also a little intimidated by the whole process. Does anyone have any recommendations about how to do this easily? Also any input on vegetable stock would be nice too. Thank you!

P.S. I am almost always cooking for one, sometimes two. What are good portions for that?

If you want super super super easy, Pacific Natural Foods makes organic free range low sodium chicken broth. I bought it at an organic market but you can get it online (w/ coupons!) at Pacific Natural Foods Home. It comes in a box and has a long expiration date. They have other stuff too. Happy Cooking.

Hezzielee is offline Junior Member
    I use my crockpot. 24 hours on low. all the veggie scraps I can find and a full chicken carcass- minimal skin. cool in fridge and scrape off the solid fats.