Thread: Juice fasting versus water fasting. page

bdilla is offline Senior Member

Juice fasting versus water fasting.

Shop Now
    By juice, obviously I am not attempting to provide nutrition for my body solely with Mott's apple-urine. I am referring to raw vegetable juices made with my unbelievably strong hands. (sometimes I use a juicer)

I have done a little research into the subject, but I wanted to pose the question to the omniscient posters here at Mark's Daily: What is better, juice fasting or water fasting?

My current understanding is that both achieve nearly the same things: promote lipolysis, reduction of blood glucose levels, fasting insulin levels, brain health (energy saved in one department is used in another?), etc... but from what I am reading, I am gathering that water fasting for extended periods of time eventually does break down the amino acids in muscle proteins resulting in lean body mass being lost, whereas with juice fasting, you are providing your body with the nutrients it needs to prevent that loss.

Also have questions about the autolysis in water versus juice fasting but I will save that for further discussions.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdilla View Post
    By juice, obviously I am not attempting to provide nutrition for my body solely with Mott's apple-urine. I am referring to raw vegetable juices made with my unbelievably strong hands. (sometimes I use a juicer)

I have done a little research into the subject, but I wanted to pose the question to the omniscient posters here at Mark's Daily: What is better, juice fasting or water fasting?

My current understanding is that both achieve nearly the same things: promote lipolysis, reduction of blood glucose levels, fasting insulin levels, brain health (energy saved in one department is used in another?), etc... but from what I am reading, I am gathering that water fasting for extended periods of time eventually does break down the amino acids in muscle proteins resulting in lean body mass being lost, whereas with juice fasting, you are providing your body with the nutrients it needs to prevent that loss.

Also have questions about the autolysis in water versus juice fasting but I will save that for further discussions.
    I wouldn't bother with a juice fast~ IMO, it's counterproductive. For me, any juice triggers hunger and makes fasting impossible.

From Fating and Eating for Health by Joel Fuhrnam, M.D.
    “Juice fasting” is not truly fasting; biochemically, the body does not enter the “protein sparing” fasting state. In this state, the body conserves it’s muscle reserves and fat is preferentially broken down This does not occur with juice fasting. Juice fasting also does not have the powerful anti-inflammatory properties of the pure water fast that are essential for recovery in autoimmune illnesses.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth fast trumps all.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    How long are you planning to fast? So long you need to worry about muscle loss?
    Why are you fasting? For weight loss, cleansing, cellular regeneration, spiritual reasons, to be more in touch with your body's rhythms?
    What is your present state? Healthy, perfect weight? Healthy, little over-weight? Healthy, very over-weight? Unhealthy, ditto?
    Answers to all of these questions will influence what you choose. I think for most reasons for fasting, a juice fast will only make it harder.
    I agree with Neckhammer that bone broth would be better if you want something besides water. Lots of minerals, protein, no sugar.