Thread: Cauliflower Rice Smell page

08829 Guest

Shop Now

Does anyone have any advice for how to reduce the smell of cauliflower? Here’s my situation. I usually make all of my meals on Sundays, enough to last the through the next Friday. This week’s lunches are cauliflower rice with meat and other veggies. Basically what I did what put 3 heads of cauliflower through a food processor, and mix the “rice” with a bunch of other raw veggies and grilled steak. I also added a bunch of spices. Once everything was mixed together, I put it into 5 containers for an easy, portable lunch each day. The problem is that the cauliflower smell is overpowering. As soon as I open the refrigerator door, it’s like getting punched in the face. It gets even worse when I heat it up in the microwave. I wouldn’t mind so much if I were doing this at my house, but I usually eat lunch at work and I’m stinking up the entire floor. I’m no wiz in the kitchen, so I’m hoping that someone here might have some tricks to lessen the stench.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

Have you tried steaming the cauliflower and then pureeing it? You end up with cauliflower "mashed potatoes" and I find that it reduces the smell.

maba is offline Senior Member

I've noticed that my fridge smells, if I leave a whole head of cauliflower in there uncooked for more than a week. Have you tried cooking the "rice" and then storing them? That might eliminate the odor. Or you could freeze them too.

08829 Guest

Would cooking it make it soggy, like the mention of "mashed potatoes"? I like the crunch of the raw cauliflower. Would frying it keep it crunchy while reducing the smell?

Dez
    Dez is offline Junior Member

It makes a huge difference if you cook the cauliflower after you've food processed it. I either cook it in a fry pan with a bit of coconut oil (and various spices), or microwave it with the lid on (but don't add water to it). You wouldn't know its cauliflower. Dunno how it'd keep in a fridge though... a couple of days?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Roasted cauliflower is awesome, and no stinky smell.

I've never made cauliflower rice, but could you roast it?

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon