Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: running page

robmedina is offline Member

Primal Fuel

is running 20 miles ok? I really enjoy running and love to do trail runs with my running group on the weekends. The shortest distance on sunday is usually 10 miles, so I have to get some short runs in during the week equaling another 10 miles.

My concern is that I read alot of posts on here stating X is too much- Y is way over board etc.

Any suggestions?

Eating? I don't really keep track, but I eat 2x- 3x's a day, my carbs are somewhere in the neighborhood of under 30-40 grams/ daily and my protein/ fat ration is probably 70/30 respectively. I tried eating more fat but it just did not work for me.

anyway- any suggestions?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

If you really want to run then I recommend varying your pace along the way -- everything from walking to all-out sprinting. If your running mates aren't keen on that, let them do what they want and when you fall behind, make that an opportunity to sprint and overtake them.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Lolly is offline Member

if you are saying your total carb grams for the day are 30-40grams and you can do 20 miles per week on that, i'm amazed. I struggle to do 3-5 miles per day on average 80 grams of carbs per day. i could not run those distances on 30-40 daily g.

it doesn't sound like too much to me. trail runs tend to ebb & flow in speed anyway because of the terrain and otherwise you are just doing 2or3 3-5 mile runs per week which is no big deal to me. i do that and consider myself within primal guidelines.

robmedina is offline Member

Lolly, I was being very liberal with the carbs. Some days I get none or close to zero (under 10) and run fine upwards of 7.5 miles. My plan is to run a marathon this November on very low carb. Fat is a much better fuel for distance running. Once you get your body in a ketogenic state you have an (almost) unlimited supply of fuel. Another benefit is that since I am not burning glucose thus creating pyruvate, I do not get that lactic acid burn. My running speeds and distances have increased as a result.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

Loly: I bike daily about 25 miles (spending about 1400 calories) in the process, and I eat under 50 grams of carbs. It just takes to switch from fast acting carbs to fat.

vonterschpe Guest

heck yeah. Ever read born to run? I kind of disagree with Mark that humans didn't run long distances. I think humans really truly are born to run. We are the running kings/queens of this planet. We can outrun any other animal on earth! I love to run and as long as you don't go really fast (ie: burn fat) you should be fine eating a primal diet. In fact, like you said, a primal diet low in carbs helps to sustain the long runs.

Keep it up fellow runner

Tarlach is offline Member

[quote]

We can outrun any other animal on earth
    </blockquote>

What a load of rubbish. Humans are terrible runners compared most animals.

The whole idea of persistence hunting is a joke.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

"Born to Run?"

Antelope, horses, gazelles, buffalo, yes.

Humans, out of necessity.

Or insanity.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

"Top ten reasons to not run marathons."

http://www.arthurdevany.com/articles/20091028

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

If you love it then do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast