Thread: Cheesecake- not 100% primal- but gluten free! page

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member

Cheesecake- not 100% primal- but gluten free!

Shop Now
    I made a cheesecake the other day- one of my faves. It is a very light cheesecake- not thick and heavy. It is a wonderful vehicle for sliced berries. It is not calorie free- but a slice has 430 calories, with 35 grams of fat, 21 carbs and 13 grams of protein (that's a large slice- 1/8 of the cake).

Ingredients:
    Crust (from Marks Daily Apple)
    2 cups of raw pecans
    2 T butter
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt

Filling
    12 oz goat cheese (I used the log form)
    5 eggs
    1/2 cup maple syrup (I bet you could use less)
    3 T potato starch
    1 T vanilla (I used frangelico)

Grind the pecans in the food processor- til mealy, then pour in the butter, salt and soda- process a few more seconds. Press into a greased 8: springform- cover the bottom and about an inch up the sides.

Seperate the eggs. Beat the eggwhites until stiff peaks. Set aside. Then beat the goat cheese (having it softened/room temp helps), egg yolks, syrup, starch and vanilla. It should be beaten until smooth and creamy. Fold in 1/4 of the egg whites to lighten, then fold in the rest. It maybe a bit streaky with eggwhites- that is OK.

Pour into the springform. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes then at 350 for 35 minutes. It gets pretty browned. Let it cool, then run a knike around the edge and release from the form. It makes 8 huge slices, but you can probably serve 12 people if you have berries for it. It is very lightly sweet and tastes even better after a night in the fridge.

rccrsphil is offline Senior Member
    Mmmm, Im definitely going to try this! Thanks for sharing!

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Here's another recipe for those who prefer sweetening with banana instead of maple syrup:
    Deep Language: No Added Sugar Banana Cheesecake

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    That banana cheesecake looks yummy too- very rich looking.

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    That banana cheesecake recipe might just be my next dessert! I created a recipe for one last weekend that was fairly lacto-paleo (aside from the Nilla Wafer crust) but still had sugar...I should've just used more banana!
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    That recipe looks great. I definitely want to try making one with goat cheese next time. I worked from this recipe recently:
    Cooking Debauchery: THE Cheesecake

It's crustless, but does call for using some sugar to coat the pan to prevent sticking. I used maybe one TBSP. And used 1/4cup of honey and some stevia to sweeten the filling. It didn't stick at all, so it's a great option for those who want to avoid a crust entirely. It was dense and rich and delicious. I also used some Fage in place of the kefir cheese.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 04-09-2012 at 04:56 AM.

I planned on just browsing here but I had to join just to tell you this looks amazing! I'm allergic to cows milk and was wondering if there was a way to make cheesecake with goats milk. I also can't wait to research more about this diet.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Hey magnolia, I want to try this recipe but what do you think about using coconut flour instead of potato starch?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I love reading your recipes, Magnolia. Sounds delicious and cheesecake is my fave dessert - am a fan of maple syrup and pecans too.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Sod the crust, wang the cheese and whatever in, blend it, set it in the fridge and enjoy it!

Goat cheese, eh? Strokes chin ... potato starch? Scratches top lip.

You might well be onto something there. I'm going to have a play with those ideas.