Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Red meat consumption, iron metabolism and accelerated aging page 6

peril is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    On what evidence is it based?

From my reading, the metabolism of calcium is governed by Vitamin D, Vitamin A, Vitamin K2, magnesium, zinc and selenium. Get those right and calcium can't build up in your arteries, you wont get osteoporosis and you'll maintain strong teeth.

Iron buildup on the other hand does have definite genetic influences. My mother was homozygous for one of the haemochromatosis mutations. Wasn't discovered until her liver was destroyed. That makes me heterozygous, so with a disposition to building up iron. After I discovered this, I resumed regular blood donations. Unfortunately, I had a heart attack a few years later and this disqualified me from further donations. Curiously though, monitoring of serum ferritin and transferrin saturation since then have shown stable iron levels. Red meat intake has increased in that period

Just an N=1 that is partly consistent with what you've said above and partly inconsistent. I'm sticking to the primal lifestyle, including the dietary part, for now on the basis of what I've read and my own experience
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    On what evidence is it based?
    Disease statistics that compare the rates of age-related disease incidence (cardio, cancer, diabetes...) between same-age males and females. Women have lower rates until menopause and/or hysterectomy.

As this is only part of the aging picture, I don't think overmineralization is the only culprit. In other words, even if their 'magic pill' removed all exceess iron and calcium we would still age. Why? Pre-menopausal women still 'age' in the common sense way (look/feel older) but just don't develop degenerative diseases at the same rate as same-age males.

From my reading, the metabolism of calcium is governed by Vitamin D, Vitamin A, Vitamin K2, magnesium, zinc and selenium. Get those right and calcium can't build up in your arteries, you wont get osteoporosis and you'll maintain strong teeth.
    I agree but that is all genetically governed as well. You're simply listing the nutrients required (some from diet, some synthesized) for the genetically regulated process to work correctly. Every process in the body is determined genetically (dna). There is nothing else.

Iron buildup on the other hand does have definite genetic influences. My mother was homozygous for one of the haemochromatosis mutations. Wasn't discovered until her liver was destroyed. That makes me heterozygous, so with a disposition to building up iron. After I discovered this, I resumed regular blood donations. Unfortunately, I had a heart attack a few years later and this disqualified me from further donations. Curiously though, monitoring of serum ferritin and transferrin saturation since then have shown stable iron levels. Red meat intake has increased in that period
    Yes, I agree in your case iron regulation is 'genetic' in that you have an inherited family trait towards overload. Have you considered having your hepcidin checked? I know I haven't been active on this thread in a while but hepcidin is the master hormone for iron regulation. It's analogous to insulin for glucose regulation. Apparently, hepcidin level is the more reliable marker for assessing abnormal iron metabolism.

Just an N=1 that is partly consistent with what you've said above and partly inconsistent. I'm sticking to the primal lifestyle, including the dietary part, for now on the basis of what I've read and my own experience
    I don't really have an issue with the primal lifestyle per se. I do think the data suggests that iron (most easily absorbed from red meat) builds up in our tissues and accelerates our aging. The more you eat, the faster it happens and the sooner you die. This is 'natural' though and actually people that eat red meat should be healthy along the way. They just won't live as long as they could otherwise. Not that maximizing longevity is something everyone aspires too. I'm not sure I do.

On the other hand, I do have problems with the primal diet. Remember Mark doesn't just tell people to go on a primal diet. He tells people to go on a primal diet AND take his supplements. I believe his supplements are designed very well, he's done a great job with them. I attribute much of his success in optimizing his health to his supplements. If you aren't taking his supplement program but you are eating a primal diet - then just realize you aren't doing the same thing that he is. That's a seemingly small difference that can lead to big difference in the long term outcome. I recommend all people that go on the primal diet should also take his supplements. I have no financial gain from saying so.
    Last edited by PaleoLogicCheck; 10-04-2012 at 05:39 AM.
    (1) I am 100% on-board with the primal exercise blue print. It reduces the problem of exercise down to its simplest form and provides a solution that can be used for a lifetime.

(2) I'm not on-board with the primal diet blue print. In fact, I'm not on-board with any diet plan but a man can hope to find the right answer before it's too late.

BoydTaylor is offline Junior Member
    the best thing to avoid anti aeging wrinkles is use of too much green vegetables in the diet and avoiding too much consumption of meat food, and one can also use some good wrinkle cream for avoiding wrinkles on ones face

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456