Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am scared about weight gain from vegan diet- need support! page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

I am scared about weight gain from vegan diet- need support!

Shop Now
    I just posted the other day about transitioning from vegan to paleo but I am started to have the vegan mindset again! I am worried about possible weight gain, because won't I obviously be eating way more calories now coming from an ALL vegetable diet (no grains that often) to meat and more fat at every meal? I love this community here and need some support/insight into all of this research.

From reading these books and websites, I see that insulin is the cause of weight gain- so I see that we can eat more protein and fats without any problem of spiking our insulin, however I am just concerned about overall calorie intake. Can anyone reassure me that this won't be an issue and in fact I may LOSE weight?

Also I went from running 5 times a week (4 miles a day) to cutting it out- I am just going to be doing long walks and some sprints once a week, and continue with weight training.

Just trying to comprehend this because mostly the paleo community is focused on muscle building rather than getting lean and thin- am I right?

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    i think you're going to have to describe your situation a little more. are you very thin right now? are you overweight? it seems to depend on the person, but it's not necessarily the case that you're going to be eating more calories. remember to eat slowly and pay attention to your level of satiation. there may be a period of adjustment when you'll have to pay close attention to how full you feel. also, you might gain weight if you were previously protein deficient, just from your body using the now-available (or more easily assimilated) protein to repair muscle. it's more useful to pay attention to your BF% (you can eyeball this by monitoring the fat that's on your body) than weight, because weight can be deceiving. there are some very lean individuals on these boards, and if that's your goal, seek them out and figure out what works for them (as it may work for you).

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    Just trying to comprehend this because mostly the paleo community is focused on muscle building rather than getting lean and thin- am I right?
    This is not an either/or situation. Building muscle is one of the best ways to get lean.
    Not to mention the mountain of other health benefits from insulin sensitivity to the joys of being strong.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think you should do more research so that you understand how your body's metabolism actually works. I also think you should stay vegan. You obviously care more about your weight than your health.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

jakey is offline Senior Member
    I see that insulin is the cause of weight gain- so I see that we can eat more protein and fats without any problem of spiking our insulin, however I am just concerned about overall calorie intake. Can anyone reassure me that this won't be an issue and in fact I may LOSE weight?
    do you know how many calories you consume a day at this point? you can easily tailor your primal diet to match the same number of calories, which ought to alleviate any concerns as you start out. also, i'm curious about how you've been eating, as a vegan, without much grains. what were you eating?

now, for the primal blueprint heresy. the quoted text from your post - which is supported by mark's book- is kind of bullshit. i'm sorry, i think it is. there's a lot to be said for keeping your fasting insulin levels low; this is good advice. but the idea that you can't store fat without insulin isn't accurate. if you eat too much protein and fat, you may gain weight, and you may certainly stop your weightloss. low carb is a great strategy for weightloss, and makes a great intervention for many people. but it's not magical. normal insulin spikes, in and of themselves, do not make you fat.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    the more muscle I build, the "smaller" I get.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I just posted the other day about transitioning from vegan to paleo but I am started to have the vegan mindset again! I am worried about possible weight gain, because won't I obviously be eating way more calories now coming from an ALL vegetable diet (no grains that often) to meat and more fat at every meal? I love this community here and need some support/insight into all of this research.

From reading these books and websites, I see that insulin is the cause of weight gain- so I see that we can eat more protein and fats without any problem of spiking our insulin, however I am just concerned about overall calorie intake. Can anyone reassure me that this won't be an issue and in fact I may LOSE weight?

Also I went from running 5 times a week (4 miles a day) to cutting it out- I am just going to be doing long walks and some sprints once a week, and continue with weight training.

After reading a lot of your posts I think you are over thinking things, trying too many different eating strategies, increasing stress, and putting your focus on the wrong thing-weight.

If you have read The Primal Blueprint and like it's premise, then commit to working the program for at least 30 days.. Don't weigh yourself during the 30 days. Just eat primal foods to satiety, get enough sleep, move, etc. At the end of 30 days make a list of all the ways you feel better and/or worse-if that's the case.

After looking at your list decide if the benefits are enough for you to continue following the program.. After you make the decision to continue or not, feel free to weigh and measure, just to see.

By the way, I wasn't focused on muscle building or getting lean/thin. My focus and goal was getting and staying healthy. I met my goal in a year and have maintained my health for 2+years. A bonus of my focus- 50+ lbs disappeared and have stayed gone.

Roach is offline Senior Member
    This can't be real. amirite?

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Don't be worried about weight gain from going primal. You may consume more calories, and that would be because your body needs more calories. The girl in the following pictures is a great example:

On the left, she's 117#. On the right, she's been lifting and is 131#.

And here, she's gone from 131# to 142#.

Look at the difference! If you want to look good, do what this girl did, lift and feed yourself to support your lifting. She eats insane amounts of healthy food. Read this to see. I don't think she worries about calories. She worries about eating enough calories to support her lifestyle, which, even a fool can see, very much agrees with her.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I've been on a "mostly compliant" primal diet for a few years now and my weight fluctuates about 5 pounds up and down. My usual calorie consumption is around 2600-3000 calories.
    Last year I experimented for 30 days with a strict primal diet in which I consciously ate high fat. Lots of extra meat, eggs, and coconut oil. My daily calorie consumption was anywhere between 4000 and 5000 calories. During this time period I lost 7 pounds.
    I'm female, 53 years old, 5'4-1/2", vary between 126-131 pounds. Focus on weight lifting and bodyweight workouts, minimal cardio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast