Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you consume enough calories without grains? page

Lily is offline Junior Member

How do you consume enough calories without grains?

Primal Fuel
    If you're not primal too lose weight, how do you consume enough calories to maintain and/or gain weight without grains? I have been eating all day long, and I'm satiated (more like stuffed) but when I logged my food on the livestrong "my plate" website, it says I've only ate 837 calories, and that I still have 1765 calories left to consume (granted, I did miss breakfast today, but still I don't think that would have covered all of those calories).

For a quick summary I ate a crap load of veggies with generous helpings of olive oil, and turnips, and chicken meat (including fatty drum stick), and strawberries.

Thanks,
    Lily

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating enough to be (beyond) satiated and you've got energy I don't see how a calorie count matters. A lot of veggies are energy sparse, so you could add protein and fat if you were really concerned, but I think you'd be better off not counting at all.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Ummm...

Meat?
    Fat?
    Veg?
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Lily is offline Junior Member
    Well, I would like to agree with you (I am not into calorie counting for most people), but one of my health goals is to gain weight (I'm really way too skinny)...so...that is why it matters...

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    Eat more meat and fat...and more fatty meat. Maybe add an avocado each day to start. Also, give the switch to primal time to kick in. A lot of people find that they're full without a lot of eating when they switch over. It might have something to do with more stable blood sugar. You'll likely start feeling hungry and devouring all kinds of tasty stuff.

EDIT - sorry, didn't see how long you've been a member so the "time" I mentioned probably doesn't mean anything unless you just recently came back.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    whenever i've counted calories, i usually end up in the 1800-2500 cal range. i find it hard if i cut out dairy, but it's totally possible to "go over" with no grains or sugar.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    fat is the most calorie dense substance we can eat. eat more fat = eat more calories.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I don't know how anyone can eat all day long and only reach 837 calories. I can eat that for breakfast. Here's how:

Half pound ground beef
    2 eggs
    1 avocado
    1 bulletproof coffee (coffee with butter and coconut oil)
    1 regular coffee with half-and-half
    999 calories.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Nuts

primal-dan is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lily - do you weight you food? The "serving size" on labels is generally far smaller than most people think. Post the quantities and I'll load them up into a calorie counter to verify.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast