Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuts of meat?? page

dantonn9 is offline Senior Member

Cuts of meat??

Shop Now
    Which cuts are the best for me to purchase?
    Danni

peril is offline Senior Member
    I can only tell you which ones I prefer. And then there'll be a nomenclature issue because we use different terms in the English speaking world . It is entirely up to you which cuts to buy. Just don't stick to lean cuts if you really want to enjoy meat

My favourite beef cuts are chuck on the bone, short ribs, scotch fillet and t-bone. My favourite lamb cuts are shoulder, shank and leg. Pork is belly, shoulder and chop
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

dantonn9 is offline Senior Member
    Should have clarified a bit more. I'm looking for the fattier cuts Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to go see my butcher this week!
    Danni

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Rib Eye is fatty and tender - and because it has lots of fat it is extra tasty. I eat the fat.

Here are a couple of links with some good info on all the cuts - on this page what I call a Rib Eye is called a Prime Rib steak: Live to Eat - The Healthy Butcher's Monthly Newsletter
    or this one: Beef cuts

But then the cow it comes from also matters. For example tonight I had a New York steak grilled on a hot grill three minutes tops on each side. It was soooo tough - it should have been stew meat. It was local grass-fed beef and I think that cow must have been training for a marathon!
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Meegads is offline Senior Member
    Jojo posted great links. The cow most definitely matters!!! If you get beef from a 6yo broody cow, it's going to have a much different taste and texture than meat from a 2yo steer or heifer. Breed also makes a difference - certain breeds have more fat vs lean, and incorporate that fat differently. Everyone goes gaga over Black Angus, but I have found that in a comparably-aged and fed beef animal, Red Angus or Hereford meat is just as good.

Rib eye and prime rib are the same thing - they come from the same cut of meat. Most commonly, the steak itself is called a rib eye, and only referred to as prime rib when roasted entire and then cut to order.
    Life is short. Eat Beef!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    If you can afford it, rib-eye is the way to go. Hands down my favorite cut.

That being said, I can never afford grass-fed ribeye, so I get cheap roasts (from my experience, chuck roast has more fat than others), ground beef, short ribs, and cheaper steaks like top sirloin, and augment the fat content with bone marrow. Trying to get straight up beef fat from the butcher at whole foods, and they said they would, but then called back and said they used it all for the ground beef.
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    On a side note, it makes me happy that fattier ground beef is cheaper than the leaner stuff! Whereas it seems that the more fat a steak cut has, the more expensive it is! DMNDS!
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, Rib-eye is SOOOO expensive! Yikes. I've bought chuck but it's almost completely inedible just cooked in a pan. Apparently it must be slow-cooked.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    i love hangar steak.... i think maybe its from flank?... fairly economical and very tasty!
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yeah, Rib-eye is SOOOO expensive! Yikes. I've bought chuck but it's almost completely inedible just cooked in a pan. Apparently it must be slow-cooked.
    shhhh... Don't tell anyone, but get the short ribs. A little less meat, and a bit more connective tissue, but the flavor and fattiness are on par with the ribeye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast