Thread: Whats the alternative to bpa-cans page

Nekron is offline Senior Member

Whats the alternative to bpa-cans

Primal Fuel
    The topic of bpa in food and the potential health hazards were discussed quite a few times on this blog already and accordingly we got a post about finding bpa-free cans.
    Today i have been looking for sources, what companies are doing instead when they sell their stuff in bpa-free cans and havent found any useful information. All posts about this are about finding bpa-free stuff or mails to companies, asking if they use bpa or not. I want to know what they are using as a substitue, are they just using cans without any plastic lining or just another (newer/less researched) plastic material?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    They may be just tinned.

Traditionally cans were made from mild steel, but plated with tin (hence the name "tins"). This is because mild steel will rust. (In fact, any type of steel will rust except stainless steel, which is steel with some chromium added and too expensive for that sort of use.) You don't want a rusting food can.

I don't know for sure, but I assume that coating the mild steel with plastic would probably be cheaper than using tin. Or it may be that the plastic is more resistant to some foods than tin is.

BPA is a hardener. If the steel isn't tinned, then it may be that it is coated with plastic but not a plastic that uses BPA as a hardener. They may be using something else instead, something that they know -- or assume -- to be safer.

I guess the bottom line is to buy fresh as and when you can. Canned goods will not be so nutrient-rich as fresh goods anyway. Keep those to a minimum. Insofar as you do use tinned, if you can get non-BPA tins then, yeah, that's probably best.

billp is offline Senior Member

Spam problem

Anyone know *why* spam like this exists? How is it that you can't see the link in the comment, but you can if you look up the fake user's account? Is it to increase the rating of a site in well known search engine?

Either way, the forum operators need to find some way of controlling this, as it is breaking up the flow of the forum. Captcha on all Junior Members, reverting to normal posting after a certain number of valid posts?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Anyone know *why* spam like this exists? How is it that you can't see the link in the comment, but you can if you look up the fake user's account? Is it to increase the rating of a site in well known search engine?

Either way, the forum operators need to find some way of controlling this, as it is breaking up the flow of the forum. Captcha on all Junior Members, reverting to normal posting after a certain number of valid posts?
    Captcha was tried, I missed it, it caused havoc and didn't screen out the spam it seems

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Captcha was tried, I missed it, it caused havoc and didn't screen out the spam it seems
    Yes, it was only on for a couple of days, but it was too hard to use. Anything I posted was just rejected by it.

One fix might be user-driven moderation. For users below 50 posts, or above a certain ratio of complaints to normal post, invite existing members with over a fixed number of post and with a sufficiently small ratio of complaint to posts, to approve or reject new posts. Systems like that can avoid having to actually pay moderators, which kills the profitability of any forum. Another way is just for the site admin to simple appoint a few moderators who he approves of, and let them moderate the first 20 post of a new user, or users with over a certain number of complaints. You have to do something that is self-limiting (so everyone doesn't get moderated) while not costing money.

I have my doubts about the long term validity of Catpcha. I saw a presentation about it once, about how they are using it to also scan old texts for the Gutenberg project. Too clever by half. Anything maze with such a large jar of honey in the center attracts an infinite number of flies who eventually work it out.

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post

How do you know this is can-spam?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceCorpsCaveMan View Post
    How do you know this is can-spam?
    Smith298 made an unattributed quote from the above comment, and all his other posts are the same. If you look in his account, all his posts have a link visible that is not visible in the forum, for some reason.