Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregnant, nauseous and donít know what the hell to eat page

shema is offline Senior Member

Pregnant, nauseous and donít know what the hell to eat

Shop Now
    I’m pregnant (and a Type II Diabetic) and am struggling with pretty serious nausea. I had been keeping to a decent diet for the past few weeks despite some queasiness. But today the nausea took a turn for the worst and all I can stomach (that doesn’t aggravate all the acid and nausea) are crackers and cheese, or a few bites of mini waffles. Or ice cream. Terrible I know and I hate that I'm eating these things but don't know what else to do. The combination of these foods along with the pregnancy hormones have also, er, slowed down some other bodily functions as well...

Help. Does anyone have suggestions for some gentle low carb food that I might be able to stomach? I mean eggs and meat right now just make me want to hurl...I made bone broth a week ago and the smell of it now is absolutely horrendous. I'm completely at a loss.

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    I was also feeling terribly sick and vomiting a lot in the first few months. I went completely off meat, and just the sight of it(raw mostly) was enough to make me vomit. I did go off a lot of other foods as well, and the only foods I actually fancied were berries and anything sweet. But the nausea only got worse when my blood sugar level got too low, so sugary/carby things only worsened the problem. And they also made me quite constipated ... But I was thinking that it's better to eat some junk than nothing right?
    I did in the end realize that eating like that only made it worse, and decided to go back to eating primal again. That meant making myself eat meat, fish, eggs, and vegetables even if I didn't enjoy it at all. It wasn't until the nausea went away I actually started enjoying food again, but making myself eat foods I knew were good for me did make me feel better. I also stopped getting constipated.
    One thing I did actually enjoy was gluten free crisp breads with liver pate or mackerel in tomato sauce. Handy when you need something quickly.

So to sum it all up:
    - Make sure you don't get too hungry.
    - Make yourself eat primal food even if you don't enjoy it.
    - Avoid too much fiber and sugary foods.
    - Let someone else do the cooking if the smell makes you feel sick. I had to leave the room sometimes ...
    - Remember that it most likely will get better after the first 3 months.

I hope this helps.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I found that Trader Joe's Papaya and Pineapple enzyme tablets were really helpful. They are chewable, and I found that they settled my stomach nicely and allowed me to eat.

From there, move to sprouted grain bread (ezekiel) since this is the healthiest bread (as bread goes. not primal, but I'd rather you get something into your stomach), and then see what you can add from there.

It won't last long.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    oh, and bone broths. try your broths.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I can relate to those feelings, although I was eating grains (and everything else) at the time.

Since you say meat, bone broths, and eggs make you too queasy, you could try concentrating more on fish or chicken for protein (or even simple chicken soup). If ice cream does it for you, there are some primal versions out there (Coconut ice cream), although in the case of diabetes it's probably not a good idea to eat too much. If ice cream is not a problem how do you tolerate yogurt? What about some crackers made from coconut flour? Don't know if they actually exist or not. Did find this: "Cheese Crackers - This is a delicious wheat-free, sugar-free snack that is quick and easy to make. They look like cookies with a crispy cookie-like texture but the taste is distinctly that of a cracker."

When I think about gentle from the primal list I think pumpkin, squash, or sweet potato. It might not be as low carb, but a few spoons might settle your stomach.

Don't know if that helps you or not, but I hope you'll be feeling better soon!
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Thanks guys for your responses. I agree, Valkyria that the nausea gets far worse when I go too long w/o eating. I had been forcing myself to eat primal things. Last night's dinner was one boiled egg that I thought would make me feel better but my stomach started gurgling like crazy after I ate it and this morning the nausea was back with a vengeance.

I'll try the enzyme tablets zoebird. Are they safe during pregnancy?? BTW I noted that I did make bone broth when my sense of smell was less acute. That same bone broth now sends me running from the room. Yuck!!!!

Fish and chicken make me feel sick too! 2 days ago I could eat chicken with no problem. Today the thought of it turns my stomach!

As for the Coconut ice creams, the brands I've found at WholeFoods (SoDelicious I think?) have chicory root in the list of ingredients. I've read that chicory root can cause uterine contractions!

I will give the sweet potato a shot...just bake in the oven? Thanks for the suggestions!

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    How about ginger tea--just boil some slices of ginger root. Greek yogurt? Pumpkin custard?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potato with butter or virgin coconut oil. It's worth a shot!

I swear I've read somewhere that carb and fat are the preferred fuel for pregnant ladies, and that's why protein can be a big turn-off. Anyone know?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast