Thread: Donating blood. page

Donating blood.

Primal Fuel
    Here's a question for you all to ponder. When donating blood, what is a good snack I can bring with me to munch on afterwards so I don't fall for the lure of the cookies and pretzles and gummy treats on the table? When I donate, my routine has always been to eat a big bowl of spinach the night before to help boost my iron count, and that morning, I eat a big breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, (used to be toast in there) and some kind of juice. That has proven well to keep me from feeling the slightest bit funky after donation. I'd usually take an orange juice or cranberry juice afterwards and munch some pretzles just to make sure. Any suggestions on this? I'm not planning to donate anytime very soon, so no urgency.
    Taking life one day at a time.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about something to munch on, but coconut water is pretty close to perfect after blood donation.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    a banana!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    water. and an apple.

aoifeee is offline Junior Member
    Bring a fruit smoothie.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    A giant plate of grilled liver and onions with an orange.

Edited to add: Oops, that's a good post-donation meal, but I guess it's not exactly ideal for bringing with you to munch on! OK, eat the orange while you're there, then have the liver and onions when you get home.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Water and some beef jerky! Really though it's mostly fluid replacement you need to deal with. Just hydrate well the day before donating and hydrate well the day of the donation and you should be fine. But it varies for each person. I've never done anything any differently on the days I donate then I do the rest of the time! And it seems I always have a heavy lifting type of project lined up for those days since they always tell you to avoid that! (which I don't avoid at all. I just go about my day)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    nice. So i was at walmart getting a few things for my mom and i noticed walking down the bread isle that just the smell made me queazy. That, and after going to trader joe's thinking that's where i'd find the good stuff, i find this at walmart.

2012-04-07_17-03-29_837.jpg
    Taking life one day at a time.