Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fructose Malabsorption page 3

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Apparantley coconut oil should be tolerated, coconut meat and milk should be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    What about a low fructose smoothie??? (I know you said no smoothies)

Coconut milk, some almond butter, lots of baby spinach, and some frozen berries. (Whatever amount he is allowed)

Also, I would start feeding him coconut milk (the nice creamy stuff) as much as he will tolerate it. Chilled it's quite lovely.

You can also make yogurt out of coconut milk, bypassing the dairy allergy. As for getting more veg into him, that just takes time and Mama cunning. Hide them where ever you can, inside of meat sauces for instance.
    NOOOOO!

NO coconut milk, it is awful for a FM sufferer. It is a fructan (so is coconut meat but pure EV Coconut Oil is fine and quite beneficial).

I am only learning about all of this now after finally self-diagnosing myself with Fructose Malabsoption. Until now, for almost 2 years I thought I was gluten intolerant. When I found MDA and switched to eating primaly, I felt absolutely fantastic UNTIL I started adding fruit back into my diet and experimenting with coconut curries big time, lol. Now that I know what is going on, I feel fantastic and happy again. Primal Diet works amazingly well for Fructose Malabsoption as long as you stay away from free fructose AND fructans (wheat, coconut, onion family, etc.)
    Last edited by letsdothatagain; 04-10-2012 at 05:57 PM.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Great link above here..

I suffer from forms of this as well.. I've found my digestive system has healed quite well by going almost ZERO Carb, or at most VLC (with exception to a banana for breakfast which seems to set fine with me).. Its not only fructose for me, its Sweet Potatoes, Rice, White Potatoes, pretty much starch in general is not a friend of my guts.. Too much fiber as well simply tears up my stomach, so even even vegetables have to be eaten in moderation..

So I've played with raising my Fat quite a bit & seeing how I feel.. I eat a lot of red meat, full-fat yogurt, 6 eggs for breakfast, a whole avocado every day, fish of course any other type of protein from clean meats I can find.. I notice virtually ALL bloating, inflammation, skin irritation, allergies, & gassy-ness has disappeared.. My skin looks fantastic.. I feel great, I don't get tired after eating.. For me, its an issue with most carbohydrate in general..

Most of my research & "cure" has come from IBS research.. My digestive system seems to get aggrevated by carbohydrates.. I eliminate carbs, & my stomach has relaxed & my body looks & feel fantastic.. So, for me it wasn't only about fructose, starch was included in my digestive issues.. Typically one irritant (in your case fructose) could manifest into issues with other types of carbohydrate.. Getting control of this now is key, gotta rebuild & strengthen digestive tract again. I believe, eliminating most carbohydrates in my diet has allowed me to pull in more nutrients & vitamins from other foods that I eat.. Seems the fiber & sugars have wreaked havoc on me for quite some time & has interupted absorption of nutrients coming from foods that go down with the carbs.. High Protein, High Fat has been the ticket to fixing this for me..

I've also started supplementing with "cod liver oil", a probiotic, & a 1-a-day for men.. I feel great but elimination & some patience with low to Zero Carb has calmed my body down & improved digestion
    this is exactly what i have experienced as well. the key to better passage through the digestive tract is definitely keeping the good fats high. butter sits okay with me when I am otherwise "zero carb" and i've found that it can be a great aid-- i can get that organic grass fed kind at the local King Kullen, oddly enough, and the price is okay.

i took a probiotic for a while, and it made things worse-- turns out the filler and binder in the probiotic was fructose. FAIL.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASmallOne View Post
    this is exactly what i have experienced as well. the key to better passage through the digestive tract is definitely keeping the good fats high. butter sits okay with me when I am otherwise "zero carb" and i've found that it can be a great aid-- i can get that organic grass fed kind at the local King Kullen, oddly enough, and the price is okay.

i took a probiotic for a while, and it made things worse-- turns out the filler and binder in the probiotic was fructose. FAIL.
    Nice to hear a few experiences are the same as mine.. Sometimes it can be loney feeling you have the rare case few can relate too!

I read a great analogy the other day comparing the effects of carbsl on the body vs high fat.. Found it here in this link ---> Scientific Proof Carbohydrates Cause Disease 1/3/04
    (this guy is somewhat of a radical, but a lot of what is written in the article my body tends to agree with)

The quote/paragraph I like that may relate somewhat to this thread states: "A low metabolism is ideal for long life and good health. A high metabolism excites hormones in the body that eventually cause age-related diseases. A low metabolism is analogous to diesel engines that are known for longevity and high mileage without a breakdown. Diesel fuel is an oil that the engine uses for energy similar to fats in the diet. A high metabolism is analogous to a nitro-methane drag racer that gives a tremendous burst of energy but explodes after a few races. The nitro-methane fuel is fast burning similarly to sugar in the diet.

As an IBS/irritated digestive tract/carb-sensitive sufferer, I find myself trying to sloowwwww things down.. Carbs just run through me, & "excites" my body.. The idea of high fats as a diesel engine that calms down the metabolism, & slows digestion is the balance I need.. Carbs provide fire that heats up the metabolism providing quick burst of energy that leads to crash tells the story of my body right now.. Eliminate the carb (even the good ones including the beloved sweet potato), raise the fat, & I'm absorbing more nutrients, stablizing energy & my poop looks fantastic..
    Last edited by abc123; 04-10-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Nice to hear a few experiences are the same as mine.. Sometimes it can be loney feeling you have the rare case few can relate too!

I read a great analogy the other day comparing the effects of carbsl on the body vs high fat.. Found it here in this link ---> Scientific Proof Carbohydrates Cause Disease 1/3/04
    (this guy is somewhat of a radical, but a lot of what is written in the article my body tends to agree with)

The quote/paragraph I like that may relate somewhat to this thread states: "A low metabolism is ideal for long life and good health. A high metabolism excites hormones in the body that eventually cause age-related diseases. A low metabolism is analogous to diesel engines that are known for longevity and high mileage without a breakdown. Diesel fuel is an oil that the engine uses for energy similar to fats in the diet. A high metabolism is analogous to a nitro-methane drag racer that gives a tremendous burst of energy but explodes after a few races. The nitro-methane fuel is fast burning similarly to sugar in the diet.

As an IBS/irritated digestive tract/carb-sensitive sufferer, I find myself trying to sloowwwww things down.. Carbs just run through me, & "excites" my body.. The idea of high fats as a diesel engine that calms down the metabolism, & slows digestion is the balance I need.. Carbs provide fire that heats up the metabolism providing quick burst of energy that leads to crash tells the story of my body right now.. Eliminate the carb (even the good ones including the beloved sweet potato), raise the fat, & I'm absorbing more nutrients, stablizing energy & my poop looks fantastic..
    I love the quote above. And I am just bumping this thread because self-diagnosing FM has been HUGE for me. And I am eager to learn more and more. I just can't believe that, for the past two years, I thought I was gluten intolerant and I was SUPER paranoid about even trace amounts of gluten when my problem actually has been Fructiose Malabsorption all along. I have learned now that if I stay away from onions (a major trigger fructan for me) I can actually handle a small amount of wheat with NO problem which is a total shocker. Now, I have absolutely no interest in eating gluten or any grains really again but it feels awesome to finally figure out what is going on with my body. And Fructose Malabsoption to me is no big deal compared to gluten intolerance so I am super excited about this. Please keep more posts coming and share your experience as a Primal Fructmal.

gumboots is offline Member
    I suffer from forms of this as well.. I've found my digestive system has healed quite well by going almost ZERO Carb, or at most VLC (with exception to a banana for breakfast which seems to set fine with me).. Its not only fructose for me, its Sweet Potatoes, Rice, White Potatoes, pretty much starch in general is not a friend of my guts.. Too much fiber as well simply tears up my stomach, so even even vegetables have to be eaten in moderation..

So I've played with raising my Fat quite a bit & seeing how I feel.. I eat a lot of red meat, full-fat yogurt, 6 eggs for breakfast, a whole avocado every day, fish of course any other type of protein from clean meats I can find.. I notice virtually ALL bloating, inflammation, skin irritation, allergies, & gassy-ness has disappeared.. My skin looks fantastic.. I feel great, I don't get tired after eating.. For me, its an issue with most carbohydrate in general..
    Hi abc123,

Just want to second that I've done exactly what you've done (including probiotic homemade yogurt+kefir, fats and protein), with similar success. I only got 60% better when I just focused on fructose and fructans. I really lowered my wheat consumption, although I was convinced that it wasn't a problem for me personally (although it is a part of FM), but it was only when I totally eliminated grains that I started to feel amazing. No brain fog, no fatigue, no more skin problems, less back pain (which had been a big problem), lots of energy, and much better digestion.

It takes some creativity to eat the full range of primal/paleo vegetables and fruits and stick with the FM restrictions, but it's worth it!
    Last edited by gumboots; 04-16-2012 at 08:06 AM.

gumboots is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by letsdothatagain View Post
    NO coconut milk, it is awful for a FM sufferer. It is a fructan (so is coconut meat but pure EV Coconut Oil is fine and quite beneficial).
    Hi there,

The newest research out of Australia (Jaci Barrett) reports that coconut milk is actually not a FODMAP -- it only has a small amount of polyols, but less than what normally qualifies. I was surprised to hear that since I can't tolerate coconut milk at all, nor can a lot of people I've talked to. Not sure what's in it that's a trigger if not FODMAPS, but I stay clear in any case.

(Aaaand I just accidentally drank some tea with chicory in it. Off we go!)
    Last edited by gumboots; 04-16-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo fail

Quote Originally Posted by gumboots View Post
    Hi there,

The newest research out of Australia (Jaci Barrett) reports that coconut milk is actually not a FODMAP -- it only has a small amount of polyols, but less than what normally qualifies. I was surprised to hear that since I can't tolerate coconut milk at all, nor can a lot of people I've talked to. Not sure what's in it that's a trigger if not FODMAPS, but I stay clear in any case.

(Aaaand I just accidentally drank some tea with chicory in it. Off we go!)
    Interesting info. I would LOVE to figure out what it is then that makes me feel truly vile after coconut milk. I do eat a fair amount of extra virgin coconut oil with no ill effects and, interestingly, fresh (the kind you get from a grocery store, with skin and all, you have to crack to open) coconut I can tolerate in small amounts just fine also. But canned coconut milk/ cream is a no go (and it is not the gums, other junk in it, I made sure the stuff I get is 100% coconut, no additives of any kind). Does anyone know? I figured I cannot eat ANYTHING out of a can/ package no matter how "primal/ paleo friendly" is might be.

ladysuze is offline Junior Member

WATER KIFIR and FRUCTOSE INTOLERANCE

Hi
    I've been primal for 6 years, But after being treated with antibiotics for a parasite i have now been diagnosed as Fructose intolerant ( FI) , as i wasn't FI before the antibiotics I'm guessing i have a bacterial imbalance. i get a lot of headaches especially if i try to take probiotcs.
    Can anyone tell me if i can take water Kifir as a Fructose responder? i hear that the final product is pure Fructose but its so beneficial for gut flora that i wondered if anyone else has tried it with FI.
    I am also a Coeliac, Lactose intolerant.
    Thanks Suze.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123