Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fructose Malabsorption page 2

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    I have a similiar experience as this and what seems to work for me aswell is a diet high in veggies and meat, with limited carb sources. However i don't know if i can sustain that because i started experience the fatigue, weakness in legs, low body temperature and no sex drive on the low carbs solution. So i have reintroduced potatoes white and sweet, rice and other safe starches. I feel i don't function fully optimum like this but i suppose it is better than going low carb for me because i do carry that extra energy.

I use my skin and trips to the toilet as good indicators of my overall health and how my body is feeling.

How long have you been eating VLC? And do you plan on never reintroducing safe options?

I want to try and rebuild my gut flora and hopefully be able to introduce some no-no veggies listed on FM forbidden lists.

I agree & am the same, regarding my skin health & trips to the toilet as indicators of my gut health.. I also monitor my allergies as a nice barometer of my overall immune system health.. I've been VLC for about a year, & not sure if & when I reintroduce a consistent flood of "healthy" carbs (I parenthesize "healthy" because what is healthy for many in this forum may not be a good fit for me right now).. At this point potatoes, rice & other starches that many in this forum rave about simply aren't congruent with my gut health..

I used to abuse wheat & starch as a means for gaining weight in a bodybuilding type mission.. I'm 31 years old, 5'10" & 162 lbs @ 8% body fat.. 8 years ago, I was 193 lbs @ 10% body fat, but to sustain that weight I had to eat tons tons of carbs & began to carry high levels of inflammation which made me look worse, even as a lean fit-looking athlete.. I think this abuse of wheat bread, oats, potatoes, & rice is now rejected completely by body.. Its as if my body now has created an allergy to starch.. (Don't mean to slot oats & bread in the same category as sweet potato & white rice, but my body rejects them all alike.. There is no discrimination according to my gut.. ALL starch runs through me & kills my intestines)

None-the-less, I understand carbs are an integral part of a "perfect metabolism", (whatever that means & if that is possible) but my goal is slowly reintroduce some fruit back into my diet (continuing with the banana), & maybe a sweet potato or dose of some white rice once maybe twice a week.. If for nothing else than to treat my body to another form of vitamin & mineral that I'm not currently getting on a starch-free diet.. But, with my body feeding on its fat stores for energy, elimination of inflammation, skin rashes gone, allergies gone, etc. I'm not sure WHY I have this necessity for "starch & non-veg carbohydrate" as consistency in my diet.. If it isn't broke don't fix it! is how I'm feeling.. VLC is healing my body for time being
    Last edited by abc123; 04-08-2012 at 05:28 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I get constipated if I get dehydrated. Perhaps your son simply needs more water.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

aussiesue is offline Member
    You might want to visit this Australian forum The Sweet Poison Forum :: Index
    It is a forum run by a chap called David Gillespie who advocates cutting out fructose, so you may find some recipes and additional info there. He also has another site/forum David Gillespie - Discussion Forums I was originally a member there, and came across a link for Marks Daily Apple there. I have not eaten sugar (and very little fructose) for around 18 months now.

Here is a link to his blog http://www.raisin-hell.com/ with lots of interesting articles in the blog archives. (links on right hand side a little way down the page)
    Last edited by aussiesue; 04-08-2012 at 06:46 PM.

zizou is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    I agree & am the same, regarding my skin health & trips to the toilet as indicators of my gut health.. I also monitor my allergies as a nice barometer of my overall immune system health.. I've been VLC for about a year, & not sure if & when I reintroduce a consistent flood of "healthy" carbs (I parenthesize "healthy" because what is healthy for many in this forum may not be a good fit for me right now).. At this point potatoes, rice & other starches that many in this forum rave about simply aren't congruent with my gut health..

I used to abuse wheat & starch as a means for gaining weight in a bodybuilding type mission.. I'm 31 years old, 5'10" & 162 lbs @ 8% body fat.. 8 years ago, I was 193 lbs @ 10% body fat, but to sustain that weight I had to eat tons tons of carbs & began to carry high levels of inflammation which made me look worse, even as a lean fit-looking athlete.. I think this abuse of wheat bread, oats, potatoes, & rice is now rejected completely by body.. Its as if my body now has created an allergy to starch.. (Don't mean to slot oats & bread in the same category as sweet potato & white rice, but my body rejects them all alike.. There is no discrimination according to my gut.. ALL starch runs through me & kills my intestines)

None-the-less, I understand carbs are an integral part of a "perfect metabolism", (whatever that means & if that is possible) but my goal is slowly reintroduce some fruit back into my diet (continuing with the banana), & maybe a sweet potato or dose of some white rice once maybe twice a week.. If for nothing else than to treat my body to another form of vitamin & mineral that I'm not currently getting on a starch-free diet.. But, with my body feeding on its fat stores for energy, elimination of inflammation, skin rashes gone, allergies gone, etc. I'm not sure WHY I have this necessity for "starch & non-veg carbohydrate" as consistency in my diet.. If it isn't broke don't fix it! is how I'm feeling.. VLC is healing my body for time being
    Great to hear on your new found success. I too have ravaged my body which has left me with various digestive conditions, as a result of a bodybuilding diet i used to follow, which ofcourse was high in carbs coming from all sources. I wasn't listening to my body which was giving a plethora of signs, but i ignored it as i wanted to continue 'bulking'. How i regret it now.

I'm currently thinking of employing a cycle strategy, where i have carb load days and mainly veggies+fat+protein days to hopefully balance out inflammation and whatnot. Thanks for sharing your story.

Btw whats your meal plan like on average?

misspudding is offline Junior Member
    Coconut is relatively high in either fructose or fructans, I can't remember. Gives us GI problems.
    Am I still allowed to lick rocks on this diet?

I was a vegetarian once. You should have seen my awful cholesterol back then...

5'8"
    SW 220 lbs / CW 200-ish lbs / GW 160 lbs

My paleo blog: http://meatbabe.wordpress.com

Thanks for all of the great tips and links, everyone.

He seems like sweet potatoes just fine, so I try to get him to eat those often. We do plenty of good, dark chocolate. It doesn't cause me problems, nor him, and we love it.

5'8"

Banana/cocoa smoothie sounds great. I haven't tried making almond milk from scratch, but the commercial varieties contain gums that give us major GI issues.

5'8"

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Great to hear on your new found success. I too have ravaged my body which has left me with various digestive conditions, as a result of a bodybuilding diet i used to follow, which ofcourse was high in carbs coming from all sources. I wasn't listening to my body which was giving a plethora of signs, but i ignored it as i wanted to continue 'bulking'. How i regret it now.

I'm currently thinking of employing a cycle strategy, where i have carb load days and mainly veggies+fat+protein days to hopefully balance out inflammation and whatnot. Thanks for sharing your story.

Btw whats your meal plan like on average?
    Thank you.. Yes!, My body is changing, & I like what I feel.. Sounds like you are "cleaning" things up too..

For now I'm trying to mix it up a little, but my focus is a big steak @ dinner, & big lunches.. Trying to keep calories relatively high in order to maintain my weight.. Again, loading up good fats.. Typical day goes like this..

No breakfast (intermittent fasting has been great for healing up digestive system as well)
    I will drink 2 big glasses of water as soon as I wake up

Lunch (around 1-2pm, cooked @ home)
    6 whole eggs (cooked in probably 3 teaspoons of Olive Oil)
    whole avocado (not half like I read that some eat.. I Love Avocados.. Think its a fantastic food)
    banana
    1 cup of full fat yogurt

Dinner
    1-1.5 lb of Steak or Salmon
    a little veggie of some sort maybe

I have a cheat meal or 2 during the week where I eat whatever I want, till I can't see anymore.. ha.. Over time, I've cleaned up the cheat meals.. I don't even crave loads of Mexican, Pizza, ice cream, etc.. My body reacts horribly when I cheat now, so when I say I "cheat" I'll load up on an all-you-can-eat meat type of deal @ a buffet, with a potato, some fruit (cantaloupe & honeydew feel good in my stomach, & have no effect on me) & just tons of meat.. This seems to keep my weekly caloric intake up overall & my weight stable.. I'm kind of an "ectomorph" that loses weight relatively easily, so I've always battled keeping weight on..

That's kind of the gist of it.. If I feel my calories are getting too low to maintain my weight of 160-163 lbs, I've taken a few olive oil shots before or some form of protein & fat.. But eating the above seems to keep my body balanced in weight, & health.. I'm a bit too robotic when it comes to routine, so I really have to force myself to "mix it up" every once in a while to take in different types of nutrients.. None-the-less, I feel like my body is on autopilot & cruising in recovery mode.. (from years of hammering my body on a high-calorie SAD diet) I just feel better now that I ever have, & like I mentioned earliet look really really lean.. No allergies, sleeping good, skin looks good, etc.

Hope this helps.. Let me know what you're eating.. I'm going to work in some coconut @ some point.. Haven't really experimented with it that much, but think its clean & will supply some more good fat for me.. Looking forward to playing with it..

zizou is online now Senior Member
    Likewise i start my day with 2 glasses of water (the similiarities are eery ), for breakfast i will typically have 2 eggs, saurkraut+gherkins and sausage. On my more carb days it will be include white and sweet potatoe cakes on top.

Lunch is generally big portion of meat+veggies likewise similiar for dinner. My carb sources are white and sweet potatoes, white rice and various root vegetables.

For fats i eat avocados a fair bit, fish both canned and fresh and i snack on veggie sticks with some sort of fatty dip (mayonnaise, olive dip and tahini). In terms of dairy i only have kefir and rarely kefir cheese. Fruit wise i have banana's mainly 1 every couple days usually in smoothie with kefir. Due to my FM issues, i avoid most fruits and now fruit in general and unfortunately i don't get to enjoy some vegetables which i'd like to include such as cauliflower and other not so friendly veggies.

I am about 6'4" and weigh approximately 72kg which is underweight for my height, i've lost about 10kg since becoming 'sick' and most of it was from my bulk phase. Like you i jsut want to be healthy, don't care anymore about gaining all the mass, aslong as i have my strength and leanness i'll be happy. Oh and clear skin is always a big motivator and healthy trips to the toilet!

I would love to add some coconut in my diet, especially to try some curries.. but i am hearing mixed opinions on its safety regarding FM, so i avoid it for time being.

I would love to add some coconut in my diet, especially to try some curries.. but i am hearing mixed opinions on its safety regarding FM, so i avoid it for time being.
    Yeah, coconut does a number on me. I don't know if it's fructose, specifically, or fructans. I might be willing to try a small amount with some beano if it's fructans.

5'8"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast