Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Gas Station Food Mart Choices page

dbalch is offline Senior Member

Top Gas Station Food Mart Choices

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In the U.S. our gas stations have become junk food eating emporiums. I live in the South, ground zero for the obesity epidemic, and the gas station food mart is a major contributor to the problem. It's stunning to watch the people here line up to drink the giant, cheap fountain sodas for breakfast.

It's a challenge to find an acceptable food item in these food marts. So, if you're stuck between meals, here's my top choices.

7) Potato Chips. Negative: tuber fried in commercial seed oil, commercial salt

6) Beef Jerky. Negatives: Feedlot beef, corn syrup and the usual industrial food chain additives.

5) Cashews. Negative: Roasted in commercial seed oils, commercial salt.

4) Bottled Water. Negative: Plastic Bottle

3) Coffee. Negative: Addictive, acidic, possibly inflammatory

2) Banana or other fruit. Negative: Not organic and usually not fresh

1) Mineral Water in a glass bottle. Negative: None
    Last edited by dbalch; 04-07-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    I live in the south and like your post.
    I'm new to PB and wouldn't have a second thought about drinking water in a plastic bottle -- now you're making me wonder.

How about fried pork skins? They're in every quick mart?
    Besides mineral water in a glass bottle, club soda would be acceptable, wouldn't it?
    One thing your post made clear -- it's always good to travel with some acceptable food.

Artemis-MA is offline Member
    Yep, about the only thing I buy in those marts is water or club soda -- preferably in glass but incredibly hard to find these days. I try to bring my own along (due to the plastic thing), but sometimes one runs out.

The other thing I buy inside: motor oil. Maybe dry ice in winter. Gas stations are for feeding your car (and perhaps a sleazy bathroom, but actually fast food emporiums are best for that function).

LeaB is offline Member
    Hi, I have been wondering about Oberto's 'ALL NATURAL' beef jerky, found in some stores. The ingredients don't look too bad, do they?

Our tender, premium, all natural beef is the star of Oh Boy! Oberto’s All Natural Original Beef Jerky.
    Set off by just the right amount of natural spices, this is how great beef should taste. No preservatives, no artificial ingredients. You gotta try it!
    SIMPLE, ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS
    BEEF, SUGAR, WATER, BEEF STOCK, SALT, SPICES AND NATURAL FLAVORINGS, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR, VINEGAR.
    13G PROTEIN - 97% FAT FREE - NO ADDED MSG
    Lean, premium beef. Minimally processed with simple, natural ingredients — the same ingredients you might find in your own kitchen. Only Oh Boy! Oberto All Natural Jerky offers a taste that is mouthwateringly delicious. A burst of flavor in every bite!

Another choice at gas stations around here are Wonderful Pistachios Roasted in the shell. Ingredients: pistachios, salt
    They are primal aren't they?

if they don't have these things, I always leave with unsweetened iced tea.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I tend to get Perrier (if you get the large bottle, it's glass) and unflavored BakenEts pork rinds (nothing but pork and salt).

Which seems to get me the "Oh, you think you're one of them there high fallutin' rednecks!" look from the cashier.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chatty View Post
    I live in the south and like your post.
    I'm new to PB and wouldn't have a second thought about drinking water in a plastic bottle -- now you're making me wonder.

How about fried pork skins? They're in every quick mart?
    Besides mineral water in a glass bottle, club soda would be acceptable, wouldn't it?
    One thing your post made clear -- it's always good to travel with some acceptable food.
    I would check the label on the pork skins. That should be an OK choice, I think. Negatives: probably fried in bad seed oil. And pork is from feedlot. For info on industrial feedlot meat, watch a movie called "Food. Inc.". I think you can download it from Netflix. Also read Michael Pollan's "the Omnivore's Delimna" Best to get your pork from a local farmer who raises his pigs humanely and with their ancestral diet.

Also, I try to drink liquids from glass containers. Plastic bottled water is acceptable to me in an unusual circumstance, but is a bad habit IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaB View Post
    Hi, I have been wondering about Oberto's 'ALL NATURAL' beef jerky, found in some stores. The ingredients don't look too bad, do they?

Our tender, premium, all natural beef is the star of Oh Boy! Oberto’s All Natural Original Beef Jerky.
    Set off by just the right amount of natural spices, this is how great beef should taste. No preservatives, no artificial ingredients. You gotta try it!
    SIMPLE, ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS
    BEEF, SUGAR, WATER, BEEF STOCK, SALT, SPICES AND NATURAL FLAVORINGS, NATURAL SMOKE FLAVOR, VINEGAR.
    13G PROTEIN - 97% FAT FREE - NO ADDED MSG
    Lean, premium beef. Minimally processed with simple, natural ingredients — the same ingredients you might find in your own kitchen. Only Oh Boy! Oberto All Natural Jerky offers a taste that is mouthwateringly delicious. A burst of flavor in every bite!

Another choice at gas stations around here are Wonderful Pistachios Roasted in the shell. Ingredients: pistachios, salt
    They are primal aren't they?

if they don't have these things, I always leave with unsweetened iced tea.
    That sounds like a pretty good beef jerky. Still, the word "natural" means nothing legally, so be careful there. Also, it's industrial feedlot beef, so inherently unhealthy. I make my own beef jerky from 100% grass fed beef I buy from a local farmer. That is best, and oh so easy to do! Other red flags on that label: "sugar"....how much? "natural flavoring"....these are non-nutritive additives meant solely to affect flavor and taste. I don't like to see unnamed "flavoring" added to my food, natural or artificial.

I like the unsweetened iced tea. Should have been on my list.

The only issue with pistachios is that they are usually roasted in an unhealthy seed oil. Best to buy them raw, soak them in a sea salt solution for 6-9 hours, then slow bake for 12 hours. Best to salt with sea salt or Himilayan salt, which is what I use.

Even better is not to snack. I practice intermittent fasting, basically eating just two big meals a day on average. Same total calories. I used to be a snack-a-holic and IF is how I solved my weight problem. It cured me from snacking. You can search fasting on this board and get a lot of good info. Mark's book Primal Blueprint is also a very good summary.
    Last edited by dbalch; 04-07-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis-MA View Post
    .............Gas stations are for feeding your car (and perhaps a sleazy bathroom, but actually fast food emporiums are best for that function).
    What a great saying:
    "Gas stations are for feeding your car, not your body!"

PrimalPam is offline Member
    I'm a sales rep and in and out of the car (and gas stations) all day long. What's amazed me is how they've evolved over the years from just a place to get gas to mini-Walmarts. I used to get the 44 oz. Diet Coke and bag 'o chips, cookies, or whatever else I "needed" to get me through the rest of my day. These days, I bring a large home-brewed Iced Green Tea with me in the morning with my paleo breakfast (eggs, bacon, coffee with CO oil & CO milk, etc.). This gets me through the rest of the day.

I, too, stopped snacking and it has made a world of difference.

I still go inside to get the occasional refill of ice in my cup, or yes, a bottled water because that's about the only decent choice. It amazes me how long the lines are and see all the inflammatory choices people buy. I cannot judge, as I've stuffed myself to the point of disgust with sugar and grains my entire life. I've stood in line with Hostess cakes and ice cream bars and chips. It's so funny, because once I went truly Paleo, I was unable to find a single thing to eat there, even with the mountains of choices.
    Truly Paleo since 1/1/2012 (Doing Leptin reset)
    Turned 50 on 3/8/2012 !!!
    5'2" Female
    11/27/2011: 162.8 lbs.
    7/15/12 : 148.6 lbs.
    Clean Paleo diet: Lots of CO, Meat, Seafood, and doing CT 5x/week, 40 mins @ 50-52 degrees F

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    If you are up around the PA area or other place where they have a Sheetz, they usually have hard boiled eggs and sometimes, pork skins. My usual convenience store fare is Pierre, boiled eggs, beef jerky, and pork skins. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than a diet coke and a snickers bar? Absolutely. When I have no other options, I survive off what I can get or IF.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast