Thread: Cholesterol - Wow! Labs Back page

MaryUd is offline Junior Member

Cholesterol - Wow! Labs Back

I've been researching since getting these results (total Cholesterol 322) and have also been through some heavy detoxing lately with coconut oil and minerals, but my doc will certainly be concerned when I see her for follow up. Lots to work on still - Vit D is low after 2 yrs of supplementing with 2,000 IU. A person on another forum suggested 10,000 IU to get up to 70. Thyroid is still off! with 75 mcg of Levothyroxine. Help! Will it be enough to tell the Dr. I want to keep trying diet and exercise? I refuse to go on any meds for cholesterol. I've been LC for a few years. Any thoughts? See labs below! Thank you! Mary

TSH 5.806 H
    T3 free 2.52 pg/mL

Cholesterol 322 H
    Triglyceride 48
    HDL 90
    Cholesterol, non-HDL 232 H
    LDL 222

VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY 26
    Glucose post fast 71

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Wow you cholesterol break down is exactly like mine. I've been trying to tweak my diet to bring the LDL down but I'm not having much luck. This time I'm ditching all dairy and supplementing with mega doses of fish and/or fish oil to see what happens.

I think if you can address your thyroid and vit D things should start moving in the right direction. For supplementing vit D, make sure it's gel or liquid form of Vit D3 (not D2) and take it with a fatty meal. To get mine up I did 10K/day for 3 months and then slowly tapered off to 2k-4k/day. I was tested last week and I'm now at 86. If you go to Dr. Davis' blog and search he has a few posts about some of his patients numbers improving dramatically over the course of a few years after getting vit D up.

Dave Mayo is offline Senior Member
    I think your cholesterol numbers are good. LDL is not really something I worry about, but in people who have LDL>200 it may be a good idea to drop animal fats for a bit to rule out familial hypercholesterolemia. If you have that statins might be necessary, not because your cholesterol is too high, but because LDL sticks around in your blood for awhile and may get oxidized. With an HDL of 90 you are never gonna have total cholesterol under 200 so I would be more concerned with the ratio of Tri:HDL and total cholesterol:HDL, of which both of yours are great.

Wrt your vitamin D, 2000 ius is a low dose unless you are outside a lot. 5000 ius seems to be about standard now, and is a good starting point.

MaryUd is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Wow you cholesterol break down is exactly like mine. I've been trying to tweak my diet to bring the LDL down but I'm not having much luck. This time I'm ditching all dairy and supplementing with mega doses of fish and/or fish oil to see what happens.

I think if you can address your thyroid and vit D things should start moving in the right direction. For supplementing vit D, make sure it's gel or liquid form of Vit D3 (not D2) and take it with a fatty meal. To get mine up I did 10K/day for 3 months and then slowly tapered off to 2k-4k/day. I was tested last week and I'm now at 86. If you go to Dr. Davis' blog and search he has a few posts about some of his patients numbers improving dramatically over the course of a few years after getting vit D up.
    Thanks for the input. I took a look at Dr. Davis' blog and there is some good information there. I'm hopeful that I can get that Vitamin D up and Thyroid balanced too!