Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Flour & Weight Loss page 3

asathya is offline Junior Member
    Promisingly nope... It makes us to feel drowsiness if we take at morning itself. So try to avoid taking in morning and take at night.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I found a great and easy recipe for Coconut flour bread. It's very dense, moist and addictive. I had to stop making it for a while.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adr617 View Post
    Hey my primal pals,

Question about the primal/paleo pancakes and waffles floating around. I am interested in trying some for breakfast because I am getting TIRED of scrambles. Mark posted about coconut flour here & mentioned that the net carbs is really low. If attempting to lose weight, do you think coconut flour breakfast foods are an okay option?

Personal experience?

Thanks, y'all!
    Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour (2 Tablespoons/14g): 60 calories
    Bob's Red Mill Tapioca Starch (2 Tablespoons/14g): 46.7 calories

Assuming you are eating the same weight in pancakes, you will have better luck using tapioca starch than coconut flour since is it lower calorie. And since tapioca starch much more closely resembles all purpose flour, you'll get a more traditional result. I do like the flavor of coconut flour with honey, though.

That being said, there is no such thing as a "Primal pancake." The very phrase is a contradiction. If you want something similar, I'd recommend baking sweet potatoes until they're very well caramelized and mashing them with some tapioca or potato starch to dry them out. Then fry them accordingly. Or you could just dry out the potato very well. IMO, that's the closest to "Primal" you're going to get - pure sweet potatoes mashed and fried is clearly a whole food. No flour is.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-04-2012 at 08:51 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

nwolfe is offline Junior Member
    My food addiction is so strong that trying to substitute all the SAD foods I crave with a Primal equivelant is, in itself, sad. It is like a carnivore going vegetarian by eating fake meat subs. like soy-based burgers or fake chicken. If your imperative is weight loss, like me, then there must be a fundamental relationship change with food in general. Taste, while important for a normal person, is the road to destruction for me. I let my life-long habits create a 450lb. man. Now, I have flipped all those traditions over. Meal titles mean nothing, holidays and special occaisions are no longer excuses for eating.

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    I keep a batch of scotch eggs in the fridge for quick grab and go breakfast. Delicious. Also a casserole with layered sweet potatoes, spinach, eggs, and sausage makes breakfast a snap. Just cut a square, warm it up and you have breakfast. When my kids want waffles I buy Van's Gluten free since frozen waffles do not tempt me in any way. I have made these pumpkin muffins (minus any frosting) as well and they were a nice treat. I subbed the syrup for 1/4 cup honey and added a little applesauce. i left out the walnuts since I avoid heating nuts. I think they would make a decent pancake too.
    Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Japanese pancake a friend made for me once:

shredded cabbage
    egg
    flour (a spoonful or so)
    onion
    maybe she put water in there, can't remember.

Fry in pan. Put ponzu sauce and/or mayonnaise on top. Until I met her, I had no idea Japanese people liked mayonnaise so much. She put mayo in sushi, she put it in everything.

Anyway, there's a new "pancake" for you. Just use starch instead of flour and mess with the exact ratios (basically, the batter should be very thin).
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

samira is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

shredded cabbage
    egg
    flour (a spoonful or so)
    onion

Fry in pan. Put ponzu sauce and/or mayonnaise on top. Until I met her, I had no idea Japanese people liked mayonnaise so much. She put mayo in sushi, she put it in everything.

Anyway, there's a new "pancake" for you. Just use starch instead of flour and mess with the exact ratios (basically, the batter should be very thin).
    Sbhikes: this sounds tasty!! I'm going to try it next week when I do my food shopping. Ty

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

shredded cabbage
    egg
    flour (a spoonful or so)
    onion

That's basic okonomiyaki, normally it has pork or shrimp too though. Rice flour works well for that, and yes they LOOOVE mayo. Mayo, corn and potato pizza is a fave western food. Of course, they might have one slice once a month....
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    I found a great and easy recipe for Coconut flour bread. It's very dense, moist and addictive. I had to stop making it for a while.
    Could you give me the recipe for this bread John?
    Id be interested to see it.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here is the link to the recipe: coconut flour bread

This recipe made a small loaf since the bread doesn't rise much. So, I doubled it, and used a regular size bread tin, and it came out like normal size bread. I had to extend the cooking time about 5-10 minutes, so you may have to adjust as well.

I actually made some last night. I will have a slice here and there for a week or so until it's gone. I have tried making a sandwich with it. Normally I will have it plain or have a little honey on top.

jt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast