Thread: Sweet potato has low GI - bad post workout meal? page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Sweet potato has low GI - bad post workout meal?

Primal Fuel
    I often eat my post workout meal about one and a half hours after my last set at the gym. This usually includes a pound of fatty beef, eggs until I hit 120g+ protein for the day, a pound of vegetables, and a pound of sweet potato. I listened to the podcast by BP Executive the other day on carb back-loading and realized that I may be doing myself a disservice eating such low GI foods after working out since everything isn't absorbed fast enough. Should I be eating strictly something like white rice and lean meat instead?

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I often eat my post workout meal about one and a half hours after my last set at the gym. This usually includes a pound of fatty beef, eggs until I hit 120g+ protein for the day, a pound of vegetables, and a pound of sweet potato. I listened to the podcast by BP Executive the other day on carb back-loading and realized that I may be doing myself a disservice eating such low GI foods after working out since everything isn't absorbed fast enough. Should I be eating strictly something like white rice and lean meat instead?
    There are differing opinions, on the matter. I respect Michael Colgan's work (maybe, a little too much) a lot. He mentioned lower GI carb sources being a better source of muscle glycogen replenishment. I know, from what I've researched, the suggestions were still CW-based. But, it doesn't mean they can't be adapted to a more Primal/Paleo approach. I'd say work with what you have. I replenished myself with two cans of coconut water; a couple of sardines; two sweet potatoes; and an apple. However, when I did get home, I also downed six eggs; and an apple. The apples I had were also skinned (bought apples in a bag, with some funky tasting vegetable wash)..

Yesterday, I did use white rice, with some lamb shoulder blades.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123