Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Difficult to Impossible to be Primal in India page 3

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
    I was in the Chennai area before, and while I don't remember much meat being around, there was plenty of fresh fruit and veggies.

I'm headed to Ireland/Scotland for a two week tour later this summer. I'm worried about losing to much strength as I doubt I'll be able to get enough calories/protein. Any tips on foods to bring? I could stash some quality jerky perhaps.
    Enough protein? Start you day with an Ulster fry, you can't go wrong. And in Scotland proper I never saw any shortage of meat or fried food. And in the South of Ireland they have great bacon and cabbage, wonderful stuff. Course if you don't like bacon you might have to IF a bit, but there is still lots of lamb about, or good mutton if you look. What about haggis in Scotland? That's basically a lamb pudding.

I can't remember off the top of my head the difference between a full English breakfast and the Scottish, Ulster and Irish equivalents. Slightly different ingredients probably. Its all good. And everywhere you main meat is lamb, not beef. Plus anywhere coastal should have great fish. You should not be bringing dried food with you, that's ridiculous. When I go camping I usually fry up some big lamb steaks on my little gas bottle stove. If you are going in summer your biggest problem is going
    to be keeping warm and dry, lol.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Kippers (smoked fish) or porridge are popular choices for breakfast. I expect that something resembling the full English will be readily available for breakfast, or boiled eggs.

I've only ever visited Edinburgh which is of course very cosmopolitan so you can eat virtually any world cuisine you like there. Glasgow is likewise.

Meatwise you should be OK as others have pointed out. Anecdotally, when my parents visited Scotland they were shocked at how few vegetables were served with meals, especially outside the cities. If you eat potatoes they will be readily available.

My experience of comprehensive organised tours in other countries is no choice of restaurant at lunchtime, and often very limited choice of food, often wheat-based, and that this varies from day to day - some days it can be a proper meal with meat/fish and vegetables. Sometimes there is only fast food on offer. So the best option at lunchtime can be IF or eating your own foods that you have on standby. Tinned fish is a good choice, which you should be able to pick up in food shops very easily. However, I would advise you to take some of your own food with you, as touring holidays tend to be very active and you will get hungry. Take a picnic-ing kit including disposable paper plates and plastic knives and forks.

Evening meals usually provide a better choice - sometimes you have to eat with the group and sometimes you can chose where you eat, depending on location and timing. This really depends on the type of tour you are doing, but I'm guessing it'll be quite comprehensive with a very full itinery given the distance you are travelling to do it.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-21-2012 at 04:38 AM. Reason: grammar
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baba View Post
    Yes to all of that. In India you cannot escape vegetable oils and getting your protein is a real problem.
    Yes to the protein. My neighbor was an indian guy and he was about 6 foot or so and weighed 165 pounds. He was the most skinny fat person I have ever seen. I guess that is what happens when you eat mostly rice.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Yes to the protein. My neighbor was an indian guy and he was about 6 foot or so and weighed 165 pounds. He was the most skinny fat person I have ever seen. I guess that is what happens when you eat mostly rice.
    I can believe that.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Kippers (smoked fish) or porridge are popular choices for breakfast. I expect that something resembling the full English will be readily available for breakfast, or boiled eggs. [...]
    Mmm, kippers. That would be my breakfast choice. It is so long since I have had a good one. I don't believe freshly smoked kippers from Robin Hoods Bay can be beaten anywhere in the world. Although I expect Scottish kippers would be good too.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I can believe that.
    The funny thing is you could never tell when his t shirt was on. He just looked like lean, athletic guy. Then I saw some beach pictures of him and my jaw dropped. I swear my three year old has more muscle definition.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123