Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturated Fat and High-Carb Kids page

Minky is offline Member

Shop Now

I am kind of new to this site. I have already given up grains and sugar, so this site caught my eye to help give me some guidelines.

I have a question, please.

My kids and husband are not going totally Primal. They still eat a fair amount of organic whole grains and sugars, although I'm working on reducing that.

I have 6-year-old twin girls who are lean and healthy and active. They eat lots of avocado, nuts, olive oil, wild salmon. We eat pasture raised local meat.

Should I purposely increase their saturated fat? They drink skim milk from a local dairy farm. Should I switch them to whole milk? Should I give them more butter and cocnut oil?

Unfortunately they get a fair amount of crap food at parties and school. And they eat fairly high carb. So would a high fat diet, combined with that, be unadvisable?

I am placing our milk order today, so on the fence about whether to change our milk order, etc.

Jedi is offline Member

yes definitely to full fat on all dairy products

Tarlach is offline Member

Getting rid of the dairy completely would be best.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

My opinion is that you should not give low fat or skim anything to children. They need the fat and calories to grow. I have heard of well off kids becoming malnourished after being given low fat food. I personally would give them butter and coconut oil. If you didn't what would you replace it with margarine? Even if they have carbs outside of your home you can still give them real food at home, and I think that is when it is most important.

Minky is offline Member

Thanks! I'm ordering the natural creamline full-fat milk right now! (It's pasturized, but not homogenized) I am on a waiting list with a local farm for raw milk, although hubby hasn't bought onto that one yet.

As far as butter, we just don't use it that often. I have never given the kids margerine. Coconut oil is new to me. I bought some and made them the protein bar recipe on this website, and they liked them. I don't usually fry anything, so just not sure where I will incorporate the coconut oil more yet. I tend to roast our meats in the oven, so don't have a need for butter or oil in my cooking.

I make wonderful egg quiches for quick morning food, and again, don't really need butter for that.

I guess I'm wondering if we/they NEED more saturated fat, or if we should just not shy away from it.

I will definiatly switch to the full fat dairy.

They have always eaten real food at home, lots of veggies, etc., but I'm new to the no grain thing, so I don't expect them to go cold turkey like I did. And since my husband is still eating grains, they are still wanting it as well. Last night he made whole wheat pizza loaded with veggies and protein. That's their favorite, and I'm not totally convinced that I should cut out all their grains. They enjoyed a piece with a "big ass salad."

I will keep reading on this website, and hopefully come up with a good compromise about how much grains for the kids. I mean they are growing and are on the lean side, so maybe they are good with some grains? They don't seem to have any food sensitivites.

I appreciate any additional feedback!

Thanks again.

Angie

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

High carb + high fat=fat kids. You can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Minky is offline Member

I guess that goes back to my original question: If they are still eating a couple of servings of grains a day, and occasional junk food away from home, will a high fat diet be problematic?

mom500 Guest

go full fat. my kids eat high fat and fairly high carb and they are healthy kids (and underweight if anything). they need the extra fat. i don't think occasional junk food is a big deal. i take more of WAPF approach with my kids and i feel good about it. good luck figuring out what works for your family!

-laura

Minky is offline Member

Thanks, Laura. I am somewhat familar with WAPF, but I will go back and refresh myself on their website. Do they say only sprouted grains? Do you still buy bread for your kids?

I plan to increase sweet potatoes (my kids LOVE sweet potato fries, butternut fries, etc.) and back away from the whole wheat pasta and bread. But it will all be a gradual evolution. I want them to continue to love real food and not have them feel deprived.

I am convinced for myself personally, avoiding grains and sugar is the only way I will stay lean, but I am still figuring out what is best for my kids! I know for sure that they eat better than any other American kids I know, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement and tweaking!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

I think cutting down the grains and sugars over a period of time (which you have aleady said you are doing) is the way to go. While you might not necessarily force fat into their diet don't fear it either. The one thing I really would avoid is giving them fruit juice and soft drinks, which you probably know already!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast