Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturated Fat and High-Carb Kids page 2

Minky is offline Member

Jo, no fruit juice or soft drinks here! I was occasionally sending them to school, though, on early mornings, with organic chocolate milk as part of their breakfast. But I will cut that out because they don't need that dose of sugar!

They are constantly receiving candy at school parties, holidays, relatives. We have a "candy bag" that it all goes into, and they get to occasionally (couple times a week) pick something small from the bag.

What do others do to limit sugar without making your kids feel deprived? It is just everywhere - makes me crazy. A kid birthday party is one big sugar/carb fest, cheese pizza, cake, ice cream, fruit punch, and a candy bag! Yikes! I don't want to tell my kids they can't go. So we just try to eat really clean at home and teach them about moderation.

Acmebike is offline Member

My understanding of banishing grains is far deeper than just carbs! It is the anti nutrients that prevent absorption of nutrients, vitamins and minerals we need, creating deficiencies. Grains also cause leaky gut and are implicated in auto-immune disease. Poor skeletal/joint development, blunted neurological growth, allergies, addiction.... myriad reasons to keep grains OUT of the diet of any human at any age. It is not just the carbs.

Kasey is offline Member

Minky, sounds like you are doing a great job of raising your kids! Just wanted to say that. Your really aware and your kids are gonna grow up healthy because of it.

Growing children need fat. Even Doug Graham, high advocate of a low fat raw vegan diet will say for kids not to follow his program because they need more fat. If HE thinks kids need fat, I would say for sure they do.

Saturated fat is easier to use for fuel than say avocados or nuts and seeds. Get some coconut butter your kids will love it!!

And yes, the high sugar treats they are getting outside of your home will be problematic. Less so for active children who have a chance to burn off the sugars through exercise. Alot of people say that high fat, and high sugar don't mix very well though it's tough to know for sure. Heck, whenever I eat fruit, I always eat it with some fat to slow the absorption of the sugars and I feel much better than if I were to eat the fruit alone so... can't assume everything you hear is true.

hippie_mama is offline Member

I've been eating primal myself for three weeks, and i'm also taking the gradual approach with my kids (ages 8, 6, and 4). They have no problem with the higher-fat dairy and more meat in their diet; we're slowly reducing the amount of grains in the house. So far, they have just as much energy and are just as lean and healthy as ever. My husband and i feel like they're all active and growing enough that we don't have to *force* the grain issue quickly. Obviously if they suddenly seem unhealthy in any way, we'll reevaluate, but so far, this seems to be working for us.

Minky is offline Member

thanks for the compliment, Kasey! We've worked really hard on keeping healthy foods in front of our kids! They didn't always like things on first try, but we just kept the good stuff out there.

I have been completely starch/grain and sugar free for 47 days and I've lost 20 pounds. I am now at a healthy, lean weight. I know for me there is no going back to grains and sugar if I want to stay lean.

My husband is lean and muscular and strong and feels good, so he doesn't feel very motivated to give them up. He eats whole grains and a fair amount of honey, but in balance with lots of veggies and protein and nuts and berries.

When I do the cooking, I will be making things without grains and sugars and experimenting with almond flour, so hopefully I will win him and the kids over with my new recipes.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Minky, your goal is not to be lean... but to be healthy. That implies to be lean, but make the difference.

Take the milk out of the family diet if you can and make them eat less sugars and eat more saturated fat. Will take a while to make them do so, but it's for your best interest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12