Thread: What is a reasonable weight GAIN goal for a woman? page

Lily is offline Junior Member

What is a reasonable weight GAIN goal for a woman?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I want to put on about 10 pounds of weight (muscle AND fat). How much can I expect to gain per week, and do I have to count calories...?

Anyone? It's hard to find information on weight gain...everyone wants to lose... frustrating

Artemis-MA is offline Member
    First, how tall are you? (I am six foot one, and a woman.) An answer would likely be different for someone four foot eleven.

Counting calories is not a great idea for losing weight, so I can't really expect it to be great for gaining weight, either.

Gaining fat may be easier than gaining muscle. For the latter you need to be working out, by and large.

Artemis-MA is offline Member
    First, how tall are you? (I am six foot one, and a woman.) An answer would likely be different for someone four foot eleven.

Counting calories is not a great idea for losing weight, so I can't really expect it to be great for gaining weight, either.

Gaining fat may be easier than gaining muscle. For the latter you need to be working out, by and large.

I am 5'11" and around 121 lbs. I would like to weigh at least 130 lbs, but I do not know if this is even possible for me.

(Sorry if this is a duplicate...technical difficulties)

DASawyer is offline Junior Member
    Why do you want to weigh 130 pounds? What would be wrong with 129? 131? 135 even? And what's wrong with your existing weight of 120?

I'm not being facetious... well, not only facetious. Why not base your goal on how you feel and look, as opposed to some arbitrary number?

5'11" and 121 pounds? Even 130 sounds low to me; at 135 lbs I was 5'8", scrawny, not remotely muscular, and male. Recommendation: stop being afraid of food. Make sure you get enough protein to preserve your muscle, avoid refined sugars and grains (but not starchy vegetables or fruits of any kind), and otherwise eat as much as you want. Move slowly, lift heavy things, and sprint (in other words, look into Primal Fitness if you haven't already).

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how long it will take, but lifting weights (heavy) will put on weight. You might also need more calories than the normal person (2500-3000 for example).

I wouldn't assume that you are 'afraid of food' or any other thing. I think it's likely possible for you to put on 20-25 good lbs of muscle (with some accompanying fat) -- but you will have to lift heavy, and eat in order to support that.

Quote Originally Posted by DASawyer View Post
    Why do you want to weigh 130 pounds? What would be wrong with 129? 131? 135 even? And what's wrong with your existing weight of 120?

I'm not being facetious... well, not only facetious. Why not base your goal on how you feel and look, as opposed to some arbitrary number?

5'11" and 121 pounds? Even 130 sounds low to me; at 135 lbs I was 5'8", scrawny, not remotely muscular, and male. Recommendation: stop being afraid of food. Make sure you get enough protein to preserve your muscle, avoid refined sugars and grains (but not starchy vegetables or fruits of any kind), and otherwise eat as much as you want. Move slowly, lift heavy things, and sprint (in other words, look into Primal Fitness if you haven't already).
    You're right, the "number" is not important in and of itself, but as it stands, I do not feel healthy at my current weight...and I think I would look better and feel better putting on some lbs. The number is just based on what would take me into a normal BMI for my height, and that I think I could possibly achieve.

And I'm not afraid of food, but I am in the process of switching over to healthier foods. I've never limited myself on quantity, now however, I am limiting on quality (or at least trying to as far as eliminating sugary and processed foods, and eating more nutrient dense foods).

I just want to know of other's experiences with gaining weight...there is a lot of support for people losing weight, but not a lot for those of us who need to gain weight. I would love to see a success story that involved someone gaining to reach a healthy body weight.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Well, if it is fat, maybe 3 or 4 days.... well, if you are me. Normally, you can expect to put on about 1/2 to 1 lbs of muscle a month, if you are not an advanced trainee and work like a dog. A man can put on about 2 lbs of muscle a mass a month, with about 75% of total gain being muscle. If more than 50% of gain is fat, gain is not recommended for men. For women, as long as you are doing better than 50-50% Muscle to Fat you are golden. In some people, better proportion of muscle to fat gain happens when gaining from extra-lean state.

Try searching for something like "heard gainers" or GOMAD. Those will help you to find regimens for mass gain. At your weight range, a goal of 1 to 3 lbs a week will be reasonable (1 to 2 % Body mass)

And, well, I would sell my soul to be you just now! (5 lbs gain in two weeks, squandering the weight lost in the past 5 months or so, through hard dedication, and can't get eating under control still).
    Last edited by Leida; 04-10-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.