Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ketosis breath page 2

brian7972 Guest

Primal Fuel

ketosis doesn't cause bad breath - it causes ketosis breath. It's different (somewhat sweet) than the bad breath associated with food particles in teeth or, more likely, odor from the back of the tongue.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

John, ketobreath has nothing to do with meat particles rotting in your mouth.

Respiration is one way to eliminate ketonic corps out of your system, along with perspiration and urine.

It's not directly determined by the meat intake, but the lack of carbs. Someone that does ketosis will learn in time how to control it, by controlling the amount of fat the person eats.

The balance is reached when you learned how much fat is just enough for you. if it's way to much, keto breath appears and urine and perspiration specific smell, because our body has no capabilities to store the ketonic corps (just limited store compared to the carbs > fat process). It's ideal to stay up at the upper threshold of the ketosis, so acetone smell is limited. You can check your status with ketostix.

Keep ketonic level to "traces" and there is no smell at all.

Athena is offline Senior Member

If anything since switching primal I get less stuck in my teeth. I find I get less out with my floss.

@Lovestoclimb: Yes, i believe the ode de bacon will be the next big perfume once primal goes mainstream

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

Athena, a mainstream primal isn't sustainable. That's why grains were introduced in the first place. To feed mainstream!

Primal and Paleo are privileged!

Athena is offline Senior Member

True Micheal A, unless we find out how to raise cows in space....

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

Oh dear, I've definitely got keto-breath and I tell you, it ain't 'sweet'.

I guess once I've lost the weight I want to I can up my carbs a bit.

Lekki Wood is offline Junior Member

I find it is best for me to stay in quite extreme ketosis - I do quite a bit of exercise and need to be burning fat. If I start to up my carbs, I get hungry all the time, miserable, and feel exhausted. It just works for me, but consequently, I am at risk for keto-breath (sweet or not, I don't want it!).

Drink loads of water - your body will preferably excrete ketones through the urine. Also a hot shower (can you sauna) will remove some excess through the skin. I have a friend who is very sensitive to ketone breath, and she swears I don't have it when I follow this.

It's not primal, but if I am working in close proximity to someone, I also have a stick of sugar free gum. Not usually more than 2/3 times a week though.

Be warned, if you drink lots and lots of water your ketones in your urine will be diluted and ketostix will give you a 'trace' or very low reading, when actually you are burning a lot of them.

Lxxx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12