Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: too many nuts? page

fiercehunter is offline Banned

too many nuts?

Primal Fuel
    I think I'm eating too many. Any insights? I don't think I have a nut allergy per se and the calories eh.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Depends on how many you consider to be too many? Also, are you preparing them properly-buying raw and then soaking? I think if they're properly prepared, and you still have room in your diet to get all your other nutrients, then go nuts
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Depends on the quantity, the type of nut, and how they're prepared.

Almonds roasted in seed oil? Blargh
    Macadamia nuts that have been soaked and dried? A decent snack

Personally, I stay away from nuts in general, I find them to be empty snack foods in most cases. It'd be great if I could grab a few here and there, but it always ends up as a couple handfuls several times a day.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    I'm a sucker for cashews but they ended up being my biggest PUFA contributor, so I cut them out.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure the calories aren't going to hurt you... but isn't it a lot like cannibalism in your case?

BTW... is there a way anyone can assess the amount of nuts you are eating if you never even state the type/quantity?
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I'm sure the calories aren't going to hurt you... but isn't it a lot like cannibalism in your case?

I lol'd
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

mattrogers55 is offline Member
    I love eating all kinds of nuts, but I can't control myself around them so I've had to cut them out.
    "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace by those who have been trained by it."

HT: 6' 2"
    Peak Wt: 303lbs- Nov 1st 2011
    Current Wt: 240lbs- Sep 1st 2012

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Yeah I need the calories but come on you all- I'm pretty little and otoh no, I don't need the calories. I'm a hard gainer and will start a thread on that where we, the hard gainers can commiserate away from all of you. It's almond butter, like in a jar. I pour the oil off but something tells me it's not good for me.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you want to keep the oil in, honestly.

are you eating too many nuts? I don't know. I don't know how much you are eating in so far as percentage of calories, nor do I know what the rest of your diet looks like, nor do I know whether or not your body reacts negatively toward nuts, etc.

you can choose to not eat nuts, or to eat less, if you wish.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm eating much fewer nuts since I started IF'ing. I was a serial snacker, but IF'ing has de-stimulated my between meal appetite.

I buy them raw, soak for 6-9 hours in sea salt solution, then slow bake. I think the commercial roasting oils are worse than the nuts themselves.

Some paleos don't like eating too many nuts based on some chemical anti-nutrients and the argument that seeds have poisons to protect themselves.

I'm sceptical of this. I think common sense dictates that early people in cold climes must have stored nuts over the winter for survival. That means they ate a lot of them and that means our systems are adapted to them.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast