Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: too many nuts? page 5

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well, we are in Canada, and basically, we are prohibited from bringing peanut butter anywhere where the kids are. I never really paid any attention to it, until I had a child. I know that one of our friend's child is allergic to peanuts but not other nuts. then, again, in her school there is a kid that is allergic to all nuts and even peas, so we are not allowed to pack any of it in her school box. I am just really confused. Interestingly, she does like peanut butter but not nuts or nut butters. I don't think it is essential, but it is a nice snack with veggie sticks.

Myself, I seem to prefer Brazil nuts lately, have a couple-three with my coffee. Yum.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Buy them in-shell. Then you'll understand how tiring it would be for grok to eat even a handful of them. Oh, and no nutcrackers, use rocks to open them.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Buy them in-shell. Then you'll understand how tiring it would be for grok to eat even a handful of them. Oh, and no nutcrackers, use rocks to open them.
    I did this (I gathered wild almonds from a tree when I was in Sardinia) and used a big pot to bash them open since I didn't have a nutcracker...it was damn hard work, and not only was the gathering and bashing process time and energy consuming, but so was the clean-up process (pieces of shell rococheting everywhere made an annoying mess to deal with, until I figured out this activity was better done outside).

Took a really long time to end up with a small amount of nuts, and boy did I appreciate every.single.one.

That being said, I buy the nuts shelled because who wants to deal with that? I don't eat them myself, because i don't like nuts, but i do use them to make homemade coconut 'larabars' for my husband, who is always trying to increase his calories. I think nuts have some benefits, and if you're looking to increase calories and you prepare them carefully, the anti-nutrient thing shouldn't be much of a problem.I soak them overnight, and it's a once in a while thing. I think ANYTHING once in a while is fine, even peanuts and gluten (unless you have an allergy, of course.)

So Leida, if your daughter really likes peanut butter, once in a while really won't do her in. I mean, if she regards peanut butter as being a special treat, she's really in a good place. Most of us spent a lifetime depending on staples that are far unhealthier!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345