Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: too many nuts?

Shop Now
    Well, we are in Canada, and basically, we are prohibited from bringing peanut butter anywhere where the kids are. I never really paid any attention to it, until I had a child. I know that one of our friend's child is allergic to peanuts but not other nuts. then, again, in her school there is a kid that is allergic to all nuts and even peas, so we are not allowed to pack any of it in her school box. I am just really confused. Interestingly, she does like peanut butter but not nuts or nut butters. I don't think it is essential, but it is a nice snack with veggie sticks.

Myself, I seem to prefer Brazil nuts lately, have a couple-three with my coffee. Yum.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Buy them in-shell. Then you'll understand how tiring it would be for grok to eat even a handful of them. Oh, and no nutcrackers, use rocks to open them.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Buy them in-shell. Then you'll understand how tiring it would be for grok to eat even a handful of them. Oh, and no nutcrackers, use rocks to open them.
    I did this (I gathered wild almonds from a tree when I was in Sardinia) and used a big pot to bash them open since I didn't have a nutcracker...it was damn hard work, and not only was the gathering and bashing process time and energy consuming, but so was the clean-up process (pieces of shell rococheting everywhere made an annoying mess to deal with, until I figured out this activity was better done outside).

Took a really long time to end up with a small amount of nuts, and boy did I appreciate every.single.one.

That being said, I buy the nuts shelled because who wants to deal with that? I don't eat them myself, because i don't like nuts, but i do use them to make homemade coconut 'larabars' for my husband, who is always trying to increase his calories. I think nuts have some benefits, and if you're looking to increase calories and you prepare them carefully, the anti-nutrient thing shouldn't be much of a problem.I soak them overnight, and it's a once in a while thing. I think ANYTHING once in a while is fine, even peanuts and gluten (unless you have an allergy, of course.)

So Leida, if your daughter really likes peanut butter, once in a while really won't do her in. I mean, if she regards peanut butter as being a special treat, she's really in a good place. Most of us spent a lifetime depending on staples that are far unhealthier!