Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: too many nuts? page 4

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I suggest working from the assumption that 95% of what fiercehunter says will make no sense and/or be blatant attention-seeking.
    Even though I totally know this, it still bugs me ocassionally....thanks for the reminder!

Primal_alien is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Yep what Primal Alien said. I eat about 1/2 cup of mixed unsalted nuts daily as my afternoon snack. They carry very high levels of minerals and they are a great way of getting them. That being said, they are also pretty high in antinutrients so you really do have to weigh the options. I eat them because they're very handy for me. If you are able to choose something that has less antinutrients in them that may be the better option for you. It all depends on how you react.

On another note, I read a news report the other day about a Japanese guy who cut off his penis and nuts, cooked them and served them for appy's to paying guests.... Now that's REALLY nuts!!!!
    I think the "antinutrient" thing is overstated too. Especially if your diet is already balanced and of extremely healthy proportions. I see no real substantiation of the antinutrient theory in practice. I eat cashews regularly and they make me feel better and fill me with some extra healthy calories. It is a mistake to assume our ancestors avoided nuts. Especially when studies indicate the complete opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    wut

Eggs and avocados in the same category as nuts. What kind of sorcery is this.
    The things people come up with on this site....

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Hunter gatherers ate a lot of hazelnuts in Scotland.
    In my opinion our ancestors ate nuts with some degree of frequency. This assumption that they avoided most nuts is silly and based on unsubstantiated rumors.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_alien View Post
    I think the "antinutrient" thing is overstated too. Especially if your diet is already balanced and of extremely healthy proportions. I see no real substantiation of the antinutrient theory in practice. I eat cashews regularly and they make me feel better and fill me with some extra healthy calories. It is a mistake to assume our ancestors avoided nuts. Especially when studies indicate the complete opposite.
    Yep totally agree. If everything else is under control nuts aren't going to hurt you. Just making sure to give both sides of the equation. I like them and I eat them everyday. Haven't had an issue yet.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I was wondering if peanut are more allergenic than other nuts (and why), or is it because they are more wildly consumed? My kid doesn't like almond butter, and I would get organic peanut for her (or make my own from fresh organic peanuts), but I keep thinking if this stuff can kill some humans, maybe it is not that good for all of us? or is it just silly?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_alien View Post
    I agree as well. I don't soak my nuts, and I easily eat about 1/4-1/3 of my calories for the week from nuts. I'm still losing fat at 3000 calories/day on average

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand why everybody is basing the quality of food a 100% of what grok ate. Sure we've adapted to things and eating like him is THE VERY BEST DIET. Maybe he ate nuts, maybe he didn't. What we really care about is whether nuts are healthy or not.

Another thing (kinda off topic) I don't understand is that people base the quality of food on how fast their weight loss is going or how they feel. Sure, feeling good could e a sign that your food is healthy. But back when the majority of my food was grains, ice cream and cookies, I was full of energy and felt absolutely great. Also I was never fat. So, this means eating grains cookies and ice cream is healthy?
    Billie trips balls

Leida is offline Senior Member
    But back when the majority of my food was grains, ice cream and cookies, I was full of energy and felt absolutely great. Also I was never fat. So, this means eating grains cookies and ice cream is healthy?
    No, it means you are a young male.... Me, I am looking for food that keeps me from being hungry and from gaining weight. The rest is becoming increasingly insignificant.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

fat
    fat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I was wondering if peanut are more allergenic than other nuts (and why), or is it because they are more wildly consumed? My kid doesn't like almond butter, and I would get organic peanut for her (or make my own from fresh organic peanuts), but I keep thinking if this stuff can kill some humans, maybe it is not that good for all of us? or is it just silly?
    Prevalence of childhood peanut allergy varies a lot by country. Israeli infants eat a lot more peanut than UK or US infants and have much lower rates of peanut allergy. In the United Kingdom prevalence is estimated at 1.9%, in the United States at 1.4%, but in Israel at only 0.2%.

I would not use local average allergy statistics alone to change your child's diet. Shellfish allergy is also very common, but that does not mean no one should eat shrimp or clams. Conversely, if your daughter likes peanut butter, let her have it sometimes, but you don't need to feed it to her just because everyone else eats it.

There is an interesting article about the rise in children's food allergies here (to download the PDF use username grokscribd and password marksdailyapple),
    Jerome Groopman, Medical Dispatch, “The Peanut Puzzle,” The New Yorker, February 7, 2011, pp. 26-30

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast