Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: too many nuts? page 3

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    A peanut is not a nut; it's a legume.

That being said, I agree that nuts aren't empty calories -- but I know that in my case, they are extremely easy to overeat, so I have to limit my quantities.
    Peanuts are about on par with almonds nutritionally. I understand peanuts are a legume and not a nut, but this is one case where primal/paleo have little justification. I understand peanuts have undesirable lectins, phytate and incomplete proteins, but so do almonds. Almonds actually have double the phytic acid content of peanuts, and the calories, lipid profile and nutritive content are virtually identical.

I put this together just now.

An interesting side-by-side comparison isn't it?
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-28-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    I eat them. I have a serving of raw almonds or macadamias every few days and I use almond butter on celery. Didn't know cashews were a good source of Magnesium, may have to switch it up and buy those next. I usually have them in the context of lunch, so on a plate with some good meat source, lots of veggies, guac, olives, a slice of raw cheese etc. I like to have a variety of tastes and textures and they give me that crunch I would get from a cracker. Maybe at some point I will decide to be more paranoid about O6, etc. but for now I enjoy variety in my diet.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Yeah I need the calories but come on you all- I'm pretty little and otoh no, I don't need the calories. I'm a hard gainer and will start a thread on that where we, the hard gainers can commiserate away from all of you. It's almond butter, like in a jar. I pour the oil off but something tells me it's not good for me.
    I don't get this...on one hand, 'everybody feel jealous of me, I'm so little I need the calories' then on the other hand 'woe is me, I'm a hardgainer, I need your pity.' What kind of weird game is this? And BTW, I think you must be pretty confused about the definition of a 'hardgainer'.

Bodybuilding Advice for Hardgainers - How to Determine if You Are a Hardgainer

While the typical person gets great results on a caloric intake that equals their lean body mass times 12, the hardgainer is better served by taking in as much as 24 calories per pound of total bodyweight (as opposed to lean body mass). Therefore, if you are a hardgainer and weigh 150 lbs, your caloric intake will be 3600 calories (150 x 24). Your total amounts of carbohydrates per day will be in the order of 450 grams of carbs, your protein will be 225 grams and your fats will be 100 grams of good fats per day. You can take all of this in 6, 7 or even 8 meals.

Do you need the calories or don't you?

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Choco, what is your view on aflatoxins? I feel like those are a lot worse than anything else found in any other nuts.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Peanuts and almonds both contain alfatoxins. Peanuts typically get it worse, my guess is because they're produced in way larger quantities due to popularity so they're probably not stored with as much care (as with anything mass-produced). The only peanut butter I'll eat is Trader Joe's organic so I'm not too concerned with alfatoxins as TJ's stuff is usually quality - their olive oil, honey and ground beef all passed the bootleg/pollen/pink slime tests with flying colors, so I have faith in their PB. I eat very little peanuts anyway, but I'm not a big almond fan, either. The nuts I love are cashews, macadamias, pecans and walnuts. I eat very little nuts in general so alfatoxins don't concern me.

If you're the kind of parent that makes your kid PB&J every day in their lunch with Skippy, then I'd be concerned. That stuff's garbage. Delicious garbage, but still garbage.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-28-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I don't get this...on one hand, 'everybody feel jealous of me, I'm so little I need the calories' then on the other hand 'woe is me, I'm a hardgainer, I need your pity.' What kind of weird game is this? And BTW, I think you must be pretty confused about the definition of a 'hardgainer'.

Bodybuilding Advice for Hardgainers - How to Determine if You Are a Hardgainer

While the typical person gets great results on a caloric intake that equals their lean body mass times 12, the hardgainer is better served by taking in as much as 24 calories per pound of total bodyweight (as opposed to lean body mass). Therefore, if you are a hardgainer and weigh 150 lbs, your caloric intake will be 3600 calories (150 x 24). Your total amounts of carbohydrates per day will be in the order of 450 grams of carbs, your protein will be 225 grams and your fats will be 100 grams of good fats per day. You can take all of this in 6, 7 or even 8 meals.

Do you need the calories or don't you?
    I suggest working from the assumption that 95% of what fiercehunter says will make no sense and/or be blatant attention-seeking.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    No more nuts for me, I've seen the light. I never really ate nuts in any quantity till last year; it's amazing what you can learn from associating with the primal/paleo crowd.

KKDMB is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I suggest working from the assumption that 95% of what fiercehunter says will make no sense and/or be blatant attention-seeking.
    +1. I'm a n00b and from the forum-stalking over the last few weeks THAT ^ statement is pretty apparent.
    Live Clean, Love Hard. Or vice versa.

Female! Height: 5'10.5" HW: 161 SW: 135 CW: 124 GW: Whatever number my body wants to be when I'm eating and moving well - trying to get that muscle mass up.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    All in a day's work of being the fierce hunter.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKDMB View Post
    +1. I'm a n00b and from the forum-stalking over the last few weeks THAT ^ statement is pretty apparent.

Primal_alien is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    No more nuts for me, I've seen the light. I never really ate nuts in any quantity till last year; it's amazing what you can learn from associating with the primal/paleo crowd.
    I think basing your choices on what other's say instead of personal research is a very VERY bad approach. If it was up to what other's say I would not be very healthy at all as per my own personalized, uniquely designed specs.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast