Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: too many nuts? page 2

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I believe Mark recommends no more than about 1 oz of nuts a day.

I only eat them occasionally, on account of their high PUFA and mold toxin content. I think they're best used as a condiment.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    I personally place nuts and eggs (and other things like olive oil and avocados) in the same category - a decent stomach filler when there's no alternative, but not a real replacement for fatty meat. In the words of J Stanton: "If you need to eat a can of nuts or a brick of cheese, you didn’t eat enough meat."

DASawyer is offline Junior Member
    I have nuts pretty regularly (but then, I work outdoors, so I'm almost constantly "moving slowly"). I find my stomach eventually begins to feel kind of "blah" when I've had "too many". So I just obey my body. Just develop a sensitivity to your inner signals. They'll give you far better advice than people on the Internet. And if you're thinking you're having "too much", just change up your snacks.

Primal_alien is offline Member
    There's a lot of misconceptions being thrown about here regarding nuts.

The first, and most obvious is that they are higher in PUFA than any other fatty acid. Wrong!

Cashews are similar to olive oil in fatty composition. And most other nuts have higher monounsaturated fat content than polyunsaturated fat content.

Another is that nuts are "empty calories". Please, most nuts are mini mineral farms. Look at the magnesium (very important mineral) content of some popular nuts like cashews and even peanuts. Not to mention the plethora of other minerals they are replete in.

They're also fairly high in antioxidants.

My instincts tell me nuts are a primal food and should not be avoided like the plague.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    When I have raw nuts, I limit a serving to one closed fist's worth of nuts. (I don't soak, but I do opt for raw, organic whenever possible.)

When I have almond butter (say, with apple slices), I use a tablespoon to measure out one serving, which is 2 T. And for almond butter, you want to keep the oil -- otherwise, you get a solid brick of mashed almond, which I find inedible. I usually pitch the last 1/6 of the contents, because the oil is all but gone at that point.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_alien View Post
    Another is that nuts are "empty calories". Please, most nuts are mini mineral farms. Look at the magnesium (very important mineral) content of some popular nuts like cashews and even peanuts. Not to mention the plethora of other minerals they are replete in.
    A peanut is not a nut; it's a legume.

That being said, I agree that nuts aren't empty calories -- but I know that in my case, they are extremely easy to overeat, so I have to limit my quantities.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Hunter gatherers ate a lot of hazelnuts in Scotland. Archaeologists have found large middens of roasted nut shells. Cooking the nuts makes them more digestible. Certainly "tastes" true with chestnuts!

I used to snack a lot on nuts before trying to go primal. I have cut consumption of them right down now, but, I'll eat more again when I stop losing weight. At present I limit myself to two walnuts or an equivalent weight of other types. I just love the taste.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmsantos View Post
    I personally place nuts and eggs (and other things like olive oil and avocados) in the same category - a decent stomach filler when there's no alternative, but not a real replacement for fatty meat. In the words of J Stanton: "If you need to eat a can of nuts or a brick of cheese, you didnít eat enough meat."
    wut

Eggs and avocados in the same category as nuts. What kind of sorcery is this.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    If you are asking, you are probably eating too many nuts!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_alien View Post
    There's a lot of misconceptions being thrown about here regarding nuts.

The first, and most obvious is that they are higher in PUFA than any other fatty acid. Wrong!

Cashews are similar to olive oil in fatty composition. And most other nuts have higher monounsaturated fat content than polyunsaturated fat content.

They're also fairly high in antioxidants.

My instincts tell me nuts are a primal food and should not be avoided like the plague.

Yep what Primal Alien said. I eat about 1/2 cup of mixed unsalted nuts daily as my afternoon snack. They carry very high levels of minerals and they are a great way of getting them. That being said, they are also pretty high in antinutrients so you really do have to weigh the options. I eat them because they're very handy for me. If you are able to choose something that has less antinutrients in them that may be the better option for you. It all depends on how you react.

On another note, I read a news report the other day about a Japanese guy who cut off his penis and nuts, cooked them and served them for appy's to paying guests.... Now that's REALLY nuts!!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast