Thread: Menopause belly? page

Rattybag is offline Senior Member

Menopause belly?

I'm going through the menopause at the moment and I have a terrible pot belly that is showing no sign of budging.
    I'm not overly into exercise so I'm wondering if this might be my problem?
    My weight and size is refusing to get any less even though I am incredibly paleo/keto strict (though I do dairy) and I monitor via Paleotrack.com almost every day and I'm doing everything right.
    I am 10 weeks in and no changes (though I'm sure I am a bit smaller in places - but not my pot belly!

Can anyone give any suggestions on how I can tackle this?
    Please?
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Dave Mayo is offline Senior Member
    Are you talking visceral fat? It's standard for a woman's body to change as she goes through menopause. Specifically, women go from storing fat in their butts and thighs to a more male oriented abdominal fat storage pattern. The primary reasoning for this is that estrogen provides a protective effect against cortisol and once your estrogen levels drop this pattern becomes more evident. The best way to combat this type of fat is to make sure you get 8 hours of sleep, do stress-reducing things like yoga, meditation, listening to music, or just plain relax. Exercise is also an important tool as it builds up stress resistance, but if you are just starting exercise you need to start light and work your way up. Your body operates best if you provide intermittent stressors, and the stress has to be a manageable level or it will be detrimental. If you don't already, make sure you get 10k steps per day. I recommend the fitbit because you can track steps, miles, calories, sleep and you can even log in your food data as well as share info and make fitbit friends to get competitive with. Once you are doing that on a regular basis, strength train a couple of hours a week at a low to moderate intensity(10-12 reps) for 4-6 weeks, then bring the intensity up to what I would consider high intensity (4-8 reps). You should perform exercises for the upper and lower body, but your lower body exercise can be sprints and jumps or other plyometrics.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I'm not very far along the journey and I'm not someone who likes to keep track carefully, so I don't have much helpful to contribute. My theory in changing from general low carb to primal was that giving up grains might help reduce my belly. I kept my carbs about the same by eating more fruit. I've gone down about 1 1/2 pants sizes in about 3 months, so I'm content with my progress. The biggest change I see is that eating more fat means I am hungry less and snack less. I do eat dairy but I am shifting to more and more raw dairy. I'm also experimenting with giving up coffee.

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    I would try more sleep in a very dark room first, then cut dairy out and see.
    Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
    Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
    Starting Weight: 174.8
    CW:160.0 lbs

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The belly takes the longest, I believe. At least that's my own experience and I'm only perimenopausal.

I had a fibroid removed that was big as a grapefruit. Since fibroids are really common for women, I've often wondered if a lot of the bellies of older women were also big giant fibroids. The surgeon said that my big fibroid was actually not the cause of my menstrual problems since it was formed within the walls of the uterus. I had another smaller one that was the cause of my problems. I probably never would have noticed the big one if it hadn't been for the little one and I might still be walking around with a fibroid now as big as a football.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The belly takes the longest, I believe. At least that's my own experience and I'm only perimenopausal.

I had a fibroid removed that was big as a grapefruit. Since fibroids are really common for women, I've often wondered if a lot of the bellies of older women were also big giant fibroids. The surgeon said that my big fibroid was actually not the cause of my menstrual problems since it was formed within the walls of the uterus. I had another smaller one that was the cause of my problems. I probably never would have noticed the big one if it hadn't been for the little one and I might still be walking around with a fibroid now as big as a football.
    Wow!! Was this discovered because you had a bit of a belly? Did it feel hard?
    Im just wondering if that is the same as me!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!