Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleo begins to become hard to keep up.. page

Whatyoudoing is offline Member

Paleo begins to become hard to keep up..

Primal Fuel
    So, I'm a teen in high school. Been successfully primal for some months now.

A look what an average day used to be for me dietary speaking:

Breakfast: slice of bread with chocolate sprinkles and a glass of chocolate milk.

Lunch: slice of bread with peanut butter. Slice of bread with cheese. Fruit juice

Coming home from school: put a ready made cheesebread in the microwave. Probably also have a big chocolate muffin. And soda

Dinner: broccoli with macaroni and soy-and grainbased "meat" (vegetarian).

Evening "snack": a piece of fruit and a big bowl of sugary cereal.

But that's not all. A couple of times a week I would take a big ice cream + a bag of chips at school and in the weekends I'd regularely go to subway and also buy a lot of sweet stuff.

Been doing this for about 4 years. Always felt perfectly healthy, perfect weight, six pack abs etc.
    But then I suddenly realized what I was doing and knew that it couldn't be good. From one day to another I managed to cut out all refined sugar. Then I read about paleo and cut out the grains as well.

Now a day in my life looks like this:

Breakfast: 1 or 2 eggs with onion and spinach

Lunch: bacon or beef or other organic unprocessed meat and an apple or plum or another whole fruit.

Come home from school: greek yogurt and a handful of macadamia nuts

Dinner: vegetables + meat + sometimes some sweet potato.

Evening snack: some berries, a piece of 85-99% dark chocolate and a block of raw milk cheese. Oh and a tablespoon of nut butter, no peanut. (love it).

It didn't make me feel better. If anything I got less energy. But I'm never going back anyway. Also it made makes me a little depressed thinking about all the good times I had. So I was thinking, why not cheat once in a while? I mean, what I do now is like 100x healthier than what I used to eat. I'm especially missing the pizza I used to eat every 2-3 months with my friend. So awesome. We would both have a pizza at the lake on a sunny summer evening. Would this really hurt me? To "cheat" every 2-3 months with a nice SAD meal? I mean I used to eat like that everyDAY and be healthy.

kkarrolle is offline Senior Member
    You don't give the quanitities of the foods you are eating, but going by one or two eggs for breakfast leads me to believe that you may not be eating enough, this could be why you feel like you have less energy.

If you don't need to lose weight and are exercising you probably should be eating more. As a teen, I would assume you are still growing...eat more your body needs it.
    Achieving goals takes a backbone not a wishbone

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Do you LIKE your primal menu or are you just eating it because its "100x healthier?" You say you're never going back to your old ways, but if you don't LOVE this way of eating, and you're not feeling better than ever, how are you actually healthier? How are you going to motivate yourself to keep it up for 75 more years?

You're eating the right foods. If you need more energy you just need MORE food. MORE of the really tasty stuff. Expand your menus, try new foods. Get More carbs for your active, growing teenage bod. Primal does NOT = low carb...unless fat loss is your goal.

Cut yourself some slack and be primal at home or when you're packing a lunch, and be a normal 15yo when you're in a social setting.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Good on you for cutting out the crap at such a young age, but go ahead and have a pizza with your friends now and again, if it's something you really miss and as long as the wheat doesn't cause you issues, it's no biggy

Remember, you are a growing teenager, so you need to make sure you're getting enough calories and may also need more carbs (from primal/paleo sources) than you are currently getting, especially if you're playing lots of sport or training hard. Don't be afraid of eating more fruit, sweet potato, etc. This could be why you feel you don't have enough energy..
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Gosh, I'm an adult (all 5ft, 103lbs of me) and I eat more than that! Plus I'm 42 and female, so need to limit my calories else I put on weight. Eat more food

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    I'd ramp up the food as others have state. If you want to have pizza once every couple of months, have pizza. It will make you feel like shit and remind you how much better off you are for your clean living. It's not practical for most people to be 100% paleo, 100% of the time. My career requires me to entertain a night or two a month, most months. I make the best choices I can, but I'm not going to be *that* guy watching everybody else eat if there is nothing on the menu that is 100% compliant.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    My advice to you is never cheat. Instead, make pizza and ice cream and whatever else you like a part of your diet and eat them when you feel like eating them. Denying yourself food is a sure way of developing food issues. Listen to your body and trust yourself.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are doing well, but I concur with all the other posters who say EAT MORE. Maybe 4-6 eggs for breakfast with some avocado or vegetables (or atop a salad) and/or with a some meat, lunch sounds ok but again could add salad, dinner sounds good - make it big. I'm assuming you are a teenaged boy, so you need to eat a lot more than what you're eating.

Also adding some coconut oil/other good fats (cook eggs and veg in good fats) to keep you more satiating.

Also, what are you doing for work outs and how is your sleep?

You are making great choices to change and cut junk while young. Don't give up!

Whatyoudoing is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angieh View Post
    Sounds like you are doing well, but I concur with all the other posters who say EAT MORE. Maybe 4-6 eggs for breakfast with some avocado or vegetables (or atop a salad) and/or with a some meat, lunch sounds ok but again could add salad, dinner sounds good - make it big. I'm assuming you are a teenaged boy, so you need to eat a lot more than what you're eating.

Also adding some coconut oil/other good fats (cook eggs and veg in good fats) to keep you more satiating.

Also, what are you doing for work outs and how is your sleep?

You are making great choices to change and cut junk while young. Don't give up!
    I sleep great! Varies between 7-9hrs a night. In total for a week I walk and/or cycle for a total of 6 hrs. That's apart from the routine walks inside of the school etc. Also I do pullups/pushups/ab exercises every other day. And do 2-3 short sprinting sessions a week. Is this enough exercise? I used cronometer for a week. I deleted it now because it made me feel very anorexic lol. But on average I got about 2100 net calories.

That's plenty of exercise IMO maybe add a tad more "weights" now and then and lessen cardio. You really need to eat more if that is your routine. My guess is your burning about 1,000 calories a week on the exercises. If your a teenager you need to eat more than 2,000 calories a day, I eat more than that and I'm a 32 year old 125lb female. Upping the fats should help you feel better too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast