Thread: Primal Journal (SuperMimi) page

SuperMimi is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (SuperMimi)

Primal Fuel
    Okay, I'm not really sure how this is going to work, since I'm about a week into trying to incorporate more primal eating into my lifestyle. I don't want to call this "day one", because I have yet to give PB my complete dedication. The best way for me to do this would be to call this coming Monday (after Easter) Day One. Still... I'm really struggling with getting moving, so maybe it will help to share my experiences with others. (Yes, I know I'm rambling. I'm a rambler. Subsequent posts won't be so darn long.) So Monday, April 9 will be Day One.

Some of this is going to sound like whining. I promise I'm not. But here are the challenges for me personally:

1. I'm pretty much on my own with this Primal thing. My husband is trying to be a good sport about it, but at the end of the day it's up to me to keep myself on track. Today, for example, was Day Two that the Girl Scout cookies have been in the house. I have 3 times indulged in "just one". I hate those damn things. I purged the kitchen so that I have "my food" labeled, and "their food" on separate shelves, but this is far from a perfect solution. The food is always there. Beckoning to me. Eat us, Mimi... you know you want cookies... chips... just a bite...

2. We live below the poverty level. We're working on that, and I refuse to indulge in self-pity. But the reality is that I simply cannot afford organic meat all the time. Vegetables are more affordable, so getting adequate amounts of protein is going to be VERY difficult until our financial situation improves. However, I do most of our cooking from scratch, and that really does help save a lot. Of course, that's probably only relevant in CW diets.

3. I'm feeding three hungry boys, age 8-17. The littlest one appears to have ADHD. I have noticed a significant improvement in his concentration/mood just by drastically reducing grains, sugars, starches, etc. But he's a tough sell. A real tough sell. And they all want their pasta. And their rice. They won't eat mushrooms. This could get interesting.

4. I have major food fixation issues. Seriously. It's pretty much all I think about. I'm totally up for suggestions on this issue, or on any other issue for that matter. I'm seriously considering purchasing some sort of zapping device that will shock me every time I think about food. Yeah, that could work.

So here goes. This was not an official Primal day, but posting it will at least give a snapshot of a typical day. Believe me, it's not going to look anything close to ideal.

BREAKFAST
    2 large cups Jasmine tea w/ 1 tsp honey and a dash of cream in each
    1 medium banana
    1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast w/ 1 tbsp olive oil poured over for extra fat (was out of eggs and bacon)

SNACK
    1 Samoa Girl Scout cookie (yeah, I know)
    1/2 cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds
    1 can Mountain Dew (I know, I know)

LUNCH
    1 large cup Jasmine tea w/ 1 tsp honey and dash of cream
    6 oz roasted pork with drippings
    1 cup cabbage fried in butter

DINNER
    1 large bowl shredded pork/vegetable soup

SNACKS
    (sigh... gave in to the "forbidden food shelf")
    1 can Mountain Dew
    1 Girl Scout cookie

So there you have it. A typical day for me trying to go primal, but having a tough go of it. Needless to say, I think I've actually gained some flab this week. This is probably because I'm eating all that fat and protein ON TOP OF the sugary stuff. The fat and protein by themselves would probably have the opposite effect. I am, however, 100% confident that I would lose weight quickly and feel great if I went primal and added a small amount of exercise.

I have a soda addiction I can't seem to shake. And those damned cookies have got to go. I looked at the ingredients on the box and was unsurprised at the hydrogenated oils and other crap that's in them. It's for a good cause, I know, but still...

For the next post I will weigh and measure myself, and might even post a photo if my ego will get out of my way. I'd like to participate in the Success Stories in progress. That would probably be highly motivating.

Thanks for reading!

Love and Light,
    Miriam

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome Miriam. Don't fret about the length of the post. It was well organized. Anyone who doesn't want to read it doesn't have to. I read it.

Some people can ease into primal. I did. But I think you need to go cold turkey. Stop the sodas, cookies and other things you know are bad for you.

Remember that your family doesn't have to go primal. They just need to eat ancestrally. If that means potatoes and white rice, fine. But continue to avoid giving them grains. And beans may not be perfect primal food, but traditionally soaked and rinsed ones are a cheap way to get fairly good protein. You will find lots of threads here about doing primal cheaply. Organic, grass-fed, free-range and pastured are great but not everyone can do them. Do the best you can. You may find some useful information in my blog. (see my signature)

Good luck.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial