Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i buy bone broth instead of making it? page

LeaB is offline Member

can i buy bone broth instead of making it?

Primal Fuel
    It sounds tedious to make bone broth but seems to have so many benifits, i would like to try it. I have a trader joes about an hour away, does anyone know if they would sell a good one there. Or cant you buy such a thing?

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaB View Post
    It sounds tedious to make bone broth but seems to have so many benifits, i would like to try it. I have a trader joes about an hour away, does anyone know if they would sell a good one there. Or cant you buy such a thing?
    I don't think they sell it there.

They'll sell a "beef stock" or a "chicken stock" probably, but it's not the same at all.

It's so ridiculously easy to make though.

Just invest $30-$50 in a decent quality slow cooker (one with a removable ceramic pot) and the $2-5 for the bones (I get 'em grass fed), cover the bones with water and let it cook for 24-72 hours. No more effort is necessary really.

I just had a soup I made tonight with stock I defrosted, shiitakes roasted garlic broccoli rabe, and some herring fillets I added just for fun. Damn that was a tasty dinner.

Try it out, it's very minimal hassle with a slow cooker.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    ^ for reals

i've got a bunch of bones in a crock pot as we speak
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    If finances are not a concern, I think USwellness meats sells premade frozen stock without any crap in it.

Stock is actually not that annoying to make after the first few tries. Everything it annoying at first. Nothing tastes as great o me as homemade chicken stock. Totally worth the effort IMHO
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    If finances are not a concern, I think USwellness meats sells premade frozen stock without any crap in it.

Stock is actually not that annoying to make after the first few tries. Everything it annoying at first. Nothing tastes as great o me as homemade chicken stock. Totally worth the effort IMHO
    I'm thinking of making my own pemmican after having tried some of USwellnessmeat's version. $33 for 2lbs, I'm thinking I can beat them on pricing... but the experimentation is where it's going to get goofy.

Are my housemates ready for me to make jerky, then powder it, then mix it with melted tallow???

Who gives a crap.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaB View Post
    It sounds tedious to make bone broth
    It's really, REALLY not. Seriously, it's easier than making your daily breakfast. Throw some bones/carcasses in a slow cooker, chuck in a pinch of salt and splash of ACV, cover with water, turn on. Go away for at least 24 hours. Come back. Strain contents of cooker through a big sieve, put in fridge. DONE.

I frigging HATE cooking, but I can knock out a batch of bone broth every week without even thinking. Nothing I have ever bought in a store matches the taste of homemade broth. Nothing.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Learning to make stock is easy and important. Once you've made it right and used it, you'll realize that there is no substitute. Suck it up-you'll thanks us later.

lamoka is offline Senior Member
    So do you just go to your local grocer and say gimme ur bones???? lol but really.. do you?
    Female 5'5", Feb. 29, 2012 SW 208, GW 160
    My journal...
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post734883

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoka View Post
    So do you just go to your local grocer and say gimme ur bones???? lol but really.. do you?
    Also, which bones are best? Beef? Pork? Lamb?
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

LeaB is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi,
    lost my last reply so I will try again, hopefully not a double post.

thanks for the replies, the recipe I saw required cooking on stove top and periodically skimming the fat off the top. I do have a slow cooker with removable pot and can totally handle that!

Is skimming the fat necessary?

Also, where do you get the bones. The grocery store butcher would not have grass fed bones. The farmer I know, whom I am going to order a 1/4 beef from, sends his cow to a processor once a year, so he won't have any around. so WHERE do I find some bones!!! ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast