Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aloe Vera Juice for Heartburn? page 2

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denasqu View Post
    What has worked is a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar... usually in a half glass of water.
    +1 ACV in a glass of water works instantly for my husband on the rare occasions he gets heartburn.

Here's an explanation of why it works:

Oh, Her Heart Burns! What Can Heal It? | Crunchy Betty

Cave Bird is offline Member
    Good advice, MN_John. So true about doctors making things worse!

When you took the ACV with meals to do the stomach acid test, how much did you take? with water, without, etc?

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    A co-worker of mine uses and swears by cinnamon jolly ranchers.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_John View Post
    Prilosec almost killed me! It stopped proper digestion of food and I ended deficient in B12 and Magnesium (and probably several other nutrients) to the point where systemic inflammation set in and they were pretty sure I had fibromyalgia. Of course the doctors just wanted to pile on more drugs.

Chance are you aren't producing enough stomach acid, not too much! You can test this theory by taking Apple Cider Vinegar with a few meals. If it helps then you aren't producing enough HCl. Apple Cider Vinegar does help, but its bad for the teeth and isn't very convenient. What I did was start taking a digestive enzyme (with Betaine HCl) with every meal. I started feeling better within 3 days. Of course I started supplementing with Magnesium, B12 and other nutrients for a while. I'm now symptom free.

I'm convinced that Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), and/or Candida, caused the low HCl (I also had constant diarrhea). I started on the Paleo diet (which is very similar to the Anti-Candida diet) and started taking Candida Clear. This fixed my remaining stomach issues and I now produce almost a normal amount of HCl; I now only take HCl with my largest meal of the day, and don't miss it if I forget it.

I lived in pain and nervousness for many years (couldn't tie my own shoes because of the pain, many, many near accidents with the diarrhea, etc) and basically fixed it with herbs, enzymes, and HCl. I can honestly say I've never been to the doctor when they didn't end up making things worse, I just hope I never get hit by a bus because I won't know what to do for that.
    A. I second the recommendation to consider trying Betaine HCl
    B. Here's good info on heartburn Heartburn / GERD
    C. If you get hit by a bus, go to the doctor. Otherwise, I try to avoid them as well.

MN_John is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    A. I second the recommendation to consider trying Betaine HCl
    B. Here's good info on heartburn Heartburn / GERD
    C. If you get hit by a bus, go to the doctor. Otherwise, I try to avoid them as well.
    Rich, that's an excellent link! The "More evidence to support the theory that GERD is caused by bacterial overgrowth" was especially informative. Though I've had my GERD / SIBO / fibromyalgia / stomach pain under control for about 18 months now I still find this fascinating, especially since I still have some occasional IBS issues lingering from all of this. I suffer with fructose malabsorption (FM) which may have actually caused all of other issues (in a domino effect), according to the article FM leads to extreme hydrogen production >>> H. pylori feeds off of hydrogen >>> reduction of stomach acid >>> chronic heartburn & GERD >>> host of problems!

@Cave Bird - I would take 1 TBSP ACV with tepid water with my first bite of food. If I were you I would just skip this and try a bottle of the Enzyme / Betaine HCl tablets. I use the NOW Foods Super Enzymes, 180 tablets for $16 on Amazon. Especially in light of the article above, you may want to try the Now Foods Candida Clear Formula as well (it also helps kill SIBO bacteria). This combination has worked very well for me!
    ================
    Is your cave located in Minnesota? Join the "Paleo Friends - Minnesota" group on Facebook. We can always use Paleo friendly restaurant finds and tips.

Jenmiddlef is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The last couple of times when I had heartburn I drank aloe vera juice and it really helped. But I don't think that it really cures the disease, I guess it just relieves the symptoms just like water with baking soda or milk for example. Here's the article on the topic. By the way I started to have heartburn more seldom when I cut down on coffee.
    Last edited by Jenmiddlef; 07-12-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12