Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo Bread Finally! page 9

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    In what way was it truly awful? Would toasting make it any better? As for the coconut bread, tried making any French toast with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca M. View Post
    The almond one was truly awful, but the coconut one is fine.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Have you tried gluten free bread? My daughter is a Coeliac and I gave her bread a go once and that was more than enough.
    Get her the ciabatta rolls from Schaer. My daughter is a dairy-allergic celiac. These are flat-out yummy, celiac or not. Schaer is a European company. If I can get them here, you should be able to get them there.

karatepig is offline Member
    Okay, I'll commit a bit of heresy here. There is nothing wrong with the idea of a bread-like product. I have used coconut flour to do it on many occasions in the past. The ingredients list for the coconut variety is A-OK as far as I am concerned. A sandwich would be a nice, easy, non-messy packed lunch option every now and then. The thing is, Julian Bakery makes the assumption that all us paleo/primal people are "craving" bread. Not really, at least not myself nor anybody I have reap a post from here. Thus, I predict that true adherents to the primal/paleo lifestyle will purchase rather few loaves. That may doom the product line, as "coconut bread" DOES NOT taste or feel anything like wheat bread.

Rebecca M. is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
    In what way was it truly awful? Would toasting make it any better? As for the coconut bread, tried making any French toast with it?

Sadly, I did toast it. Just my opinion, of course, but it had a horrible aftertaste.
    I would imagine that the coconut version would make great French Toast, at least as far as flavor goes.
    Texture-wise, I don't know how it would hold up. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow. If I do, I'll let you know!

I'll make my opinion plain: NO COMMERCIAL PALEO BREAD!!

This wonderful way of eating is based on whole foods, real foods, simpler meals, foods that do not come with nutritional profile labels, foods that honor the Paleo/Primal premise in the spirit as well as the "letter of the law" (so to speak).

Both the Paleo and the Primal are strict no-grain WOE's. How does buying a fake-bread commercially-produced copy of a SAD and Neolithic food make sense in this context?! Good Lord, if I had a dollar for every time somebody got on a vegetarian's ass for buying faux-meat it would pay for a trip to PrimalCon! If you need a transition product, or if you have serious cravings, or need a solution for a particularly difficult family meal situation, or you just plain old decide to eat bread, then make it in your own kitchen, for yourself, one hard-to-produce loaf at a time, like Grandma did.

This entire forum is full of rants and ravings and exclamations and complaints and oh-how-abhorrents opposing mind games and faux foods and things-that-are-not-Primal - and BREAD IS NEITHER PRIMAL NOR PALEO.

Oh Lord, I can see it now: Paleo french toast sticks! Primal bean dip (the legumes were prepared in our homey factory kitchen the Weston Price Way!)! Lo-carb Dark Chocolate Nutella! Paleo ice cream! Vegetarian Primal Nut-Loaf with gravy! You don't have to own up to anything! The Primal can be anything it wants to be - just count it as a cheat! If Kraft decides that Primal/Paleo is a viable market we will soon see microwaveable frozen Primal coconut flour cinnamon rolls and other shit like that!

I know I am ranting, but this kind of bread-crumb-strewn slippery slope will be the beginning of the end of any real meaning for the Paleo/Primal. You can stretch the definition of what Paleo/Primal is only so far before it no longer has any definite meaning at all.

If the bakery in question had said this was simply a clean low-carb almond bread, I wouldn't have much of a reaction to it except to say No Thank You for myself and huh - maybe for a celiac (I have one of those at home with me). But it is specifically being billed as PALEO and as such, I find it disingenuous from the bakery, regardless if it is made with almonds or coconut or sweet potato flour or whatever, and hypocritical of a Paleo / Primal consumer.

I sincerely hope the Paleo / Primal folk have better sense than to support this.

tcseacliff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca M. View Post
    Sadly, I did toast it. Just my opinion, of course, but it had a horrible aftertaste.
    I would imagine that the coconut version would make great French Toast, at least as far as flavor goes.
    Texture-wise, I don't know how it would hold up. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow. If I do, I'll let you know!
    the only thing I really want some kind of bread for is, I now eat frittatas and omelets. I miss eating my eggs over easy, and I need something to sop up the eggs! it used ti be sourdough toast! since paleo, just eating scrambled, but really miss my gooey sunny side eggs. softboiled is not enough.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcseacliff View Post
    the only thing I really want some kind of bread for is, I now eat frittatas and omelets. I miss eating my eggs over easy, and I need something to sop up the eggs! it used ti be sourdough toast! since paleo, just eating scrambled, but really miss my gooey sunny side eggs. softboiled is not enough.
    How about some nice oven roasted potato wedges for those egg yolks? Or serve them over a nice sweet potato hash?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

tcseacliff is offline Senior Member
    that may work, i could make a potato pancake and it may work. yeah, the only way to really enjoy the eggs was the toast part. licking the plate was never as good .. ah, the memories.

but , let me tell ya , my fritattas are kick-ass and never disappoint. i get over my egg dream pretty quick. this forum topic of bread just caught my eye. if I Jones bad enough for it , i will buy a loa take a slice , and give the bread to my non-paleo siblings!

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Stupid gimmick. If you want bread then eat some bread. Next up they'll be paleo twinkies and paleo pizza franchises. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Stupid gimmick. If you want bread then eat some bread. Next up they'll be paleo twinkies and paleo pizza franchises. lol.
    Thank You. You are my new Favorite Poster of the Day.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast