Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo Bread Finally! page 7

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by TARNIP View Post
    Ahhh ok, thanks for clearing up the confusion I actually made your Coconut Almond Flax bread the other day and it was delicious........probably shouldn't be making it anymore now
    The good news is you can make it out of all coconut flour and it will taste very similar. I'm okay with coconut flour...but the extremely high fiber content means don't make it if you have a long meeting or a road trip planned You're going to have to use a lot more eggs, though.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    The only paleo bread is the bread you leave on the shelf.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    I known I should know better but can you explain to me why you all seem to be mad at Dr's Atkins.
    My understanding is:

Atkins placed too much emphasis on striving for ketosis in the first two weeks. CW thought that the ketosis phase was for the whole time and not just the first two weeks. CW sees ketosis as dangerous, and used the ketosis phase to attack low carb in general.

Atkins didn't distinguish between grain carbs and vegetable carbs.

Atkins was a temporary diet; once you lost the weight, it was back to cookies and pasta.

And the worst: Atkins started a food company where they tried to make SAD foods low-carb, usually by adding fiber or weird proteins. In other words, the usual concept of trying to make SAD foods into acceptable foods, usually by chemical fakery. I once looked at an Atkins cookbook. The recipes were for all the standard SAD dishes, except that half the ingredients were "Atkins brand' whatever.

This all set the low-carb movement back by years.

When people ask me if low-carb is a dangerous diet, I tell them I get plenty of carbs from veggies.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    The only paleo bread is the bread you leave on the shelf.
    Consider this: before going Primal, I used to eat A LOT of wheat. I never really cared for sweet stuff, never really ate cakes, candy or cookies, never drank soda (I only really drank water and unsweetened iced tea), but being an Italian from Jersey, good crusty bread and pasta were absolute staples. To this day, I still have a pizza peel and oven bricks. I could make you sourdough bread or pizza and would rival the best you've ever had in your life. I really, really enjoyed baking breads and pizzas - even more than eating it - and I really do miss it.

Every now and again when I have people over, I'll bake something for old time's sake. I'm having some people over this week, so I'm going to make a sourdough garlic bread. It's for Wednesday and I made the dough last night. It's sitting in a tub with lid wrapped in plastic wrap to ferment. Not only is lots of yeast in there, but also whey I drained off the top of my Greek yogurt. I even added a tablespoon of buckwheat flour because it has high levels of phytase. As far as Primal goes, a 4 day fermented loaf with whey and phytase added is as good as it gets.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    My understanding is:
    <snip>

When people ask me if low-carb is a dangerous diet, I tell them I get plenty of carbs from veggies.
    Your understanding is from just the last few years~ it's not what Dr. Atkins designed and wrote about in his first *Diet Revolution* book in 1972. And he didn't set the low carb movement back by years, he and Dr. Stillman are the ones that got the whole thing going 40 years ago.

If you want to have an issue with all the frankenfoods out there now, I don't blame you~ but I do wish people would stop saying that Dr. Atkins promoted eating these things~ the original WOE was a long term lifestyle (not short term diet) with carb levels similar to PB, promoting healthy fats, meats and veggies. Probably, the biggest difference between PB and Dr. Atkins, is that Dr. A didn't stress grass fed/pastured meats. All this other nonsense came after he died and the 'Atkins Corporation' started marketing the program as a diet.

If you really want to know, instead of just repeating what you're heard, read Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution. The first one, 1972~

Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting~ I just get tired of hearing about how awful Atkins is by people who aren't old enough to even remember the beginnings of low carb. I still have my copy of the his first book. And I can tell you, I wouldn't have an problem with my weight now if I had continued eating 'Atkins style' instead of getting brainwashed by that stupid food pyramid

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Your understanding is from just the last few years~ it's not what Dr. Atkins designed and wrote about in his first *Diet Revolution* book in 1972. And he didn't set the low carb movement back by years, he and Dr. Stillman are the ones that got the whole thing going 40 years ago.

If you want to have an issue with all the frankenfoods out there now, I don't blame you~ but I do wish people would stop saying that Dr. Atkins promoted eating these things~ the original WOE was a long term lifestyle (not short term diet) with carb levels similar to PB, promoting healthy fats, meats and veggies. Probably, the biggest difference between PB and Dr. Atkins, is that Dr. A didn't stress grass fed/pastured meats. All this other nonsense came after he died and the 'Atkins Corporation' started marketing the program as a diet.

If you really want to know, instead of just repeating what you're heard, read Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution. The first one, 1972~

Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting~ I just get tired of hearing about how awful Atkins is by people who aren't old enough to even remember the beginnings of low carb. I still have my copy of the his first book. And I can tell you, I wouldn't have an problem with my weight now if I had continued eating 'Atkins style' instead of getting brainwashed by that stupid food pyramid
    +1. I read the 1991 edition, recently. Even that edition made me think, "why is the guy getting so much flack?"
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

oxide is offline Senior Member
    So instead of being mad at Dr. Atkins, we should all be mad at Atkins Corporation?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Atkins focused on macros. Paleo/primal focuses on food quality. I think that's the primary difference.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Atkins focused on macros. Paleo/primal focuses on food quality. I think that's the primary difference.
    Really? have you ever read Dr. Atkins' books? Or do you really believe that everyone here can afford/has access to grass fed meat and eat it exclusively?

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Really? have you ever read Dr. Atkins' books? Or do you really believe that everyone here can afford/has access to grass fed meat and eat it exclusively?
    +1.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast