Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 115

Thread: Paleo Bread Finally! page 10

  1. #91
    choppedliver's Avatar
    choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    111
    Primal Fuel
    I hear lots of macho talk about Paleo purity here. But when you come down to it, how many of you never ever cheat? I know that many of you cheat every couple of times per month, even every week. I know many who're barely even 80 / 20. There is actually very few of you that never consume artificial sweeteners, legumes, soy, ice cream, and processed and conventional meats.

    Based on the ingredients listed, the coconut Paleo bread is remarkably Paleo. It is only processed in the sense that it's pulverized flour -- this may not have been attainable back yonder. But it's more than 80-20. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Thank You. You are my new Favorite Poster of the Day.

  2. #92
    Crabbcakes's Avatar
    Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Appalachian Ohio
    Posts
    2,358
    Quote Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
    I hear lots of macho talk about Paleo purity here. But when you come down to it, how many of you never ever cheat? I know that many of you cheat every couple of times per month, even every week. I know many who're barely even 80 / 20. There is actually very few of you that never consume artificial sweeteners, legumes, soy, ice cream, and processed and conventional meats.

    Based on the ingredients listed, the coconut Paleo bread is remarkably Paleo. It is only processed in the sense that it's pulverized flour -- this may not have been attainable back yonder. But it's more than 80-20. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    When it comes to bread, I honestly don't cheat. Neither with real bread, nor gluten-free bread, nor paleo bread, nor any kind of anything bread replacement. Coconut flour here and there comes into play into my kitchen as a meat binder. So as far as I go, I do walk the talk.

  3. #93
    jojohaligo's Avatar
    jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wet Coast of Canada
    Posts
    759
    ...and "paleo bread" is a bit of an oxymoron isn't it...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

    Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

  4. #94
    Catharsis's Avatar
    Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    209
    Saying that ground up nut flour that is super heated is "paleo" is like saying that Doritos and Coke is a healthy snack for vegetarians because it's meatless. Is it "paleo" based on ingredients? Yeah, that doesn't mean it's healthy. Common sense escapes people.

  5. #95
    lazatiger's Avatar
    lazatiger is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    85
    "Julian Bakery Customer Tests Low-Carb Bread Claims, Requests They ‘Immediately Cease Sales’"

    They don't seem like a very honest company.

    I try to avoid almond flour. It's very high in calories and it seems to me like it could go rancid very easily. I love me some coconut flour, though. I use it to coat chicken nuggets.

    I dislike the idea of 'paleo bread'. It still sounds like a fake food to me. I went paleo to avoid crap and to eat nutritious, whole foods.

  6. #96
    choppedliver's Avatar
    choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    111
    It's annoying to deal with those who come out of the woodwork and pound their chests in righteous indignation. The Paleo coconut bread is sufficiently Paleo. I would have no problem making the bread my staple if the ingredients and macronutrients are as listed.

    Don't let those who've been brainwashed by the "bread is no Paleo" credo influence your food choices. Why, the coconut bread is healthier than the bread made from the Einkhorn stock, in use for more than 3000 years in the Middle East and during the time of Jesus; it's gluten-free. That's the dividing line, not whether' it's "bread." If you think the process of turning coconut into flour is "Neolithic", you should feel the same way about a lot of other stuff you're eating.

    Get rid of your cheat days first. Then get rid of all your processed milk products (cream, cheese, sour cream, ice cream), all processed meats (that means all cold cuts), all soy (including fermented), all processed oils (that means olive oil, too) and all grains (including white rice that's in vogue now), all sweeteners (sugar, Splenda, Equal, sugar alcohols, even stevia). There is such a thing as hierarchy and relativity.

    Sounds pretty fastidious for those who would wolf down pepperoni pizza and diet root beer on their "girls' night out". Then claim to have "fell out of the wagon" and wonder how to "jump start" Paleo. No need for that. Just eat bread. With right ingredients.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Saying that ground up nut flour that is super heated is "paleo" is like saying that Doritos and Coke is a healthy snack for vegetarians because it's meatless. Is it "paleo" based on ingredients? Yeah, that doesn't mean it's healthy. Common sense escapes people.

  7. #97
    noodletoy's Avatar
    noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    2,880
    have seen the other julian breads being questioned elsewhere on the interwebs. the super-low carb ones sell for like $8 a loaf!! ridiculous. even excellent artisan bread is less than $5.

    when i first eliminated grains, i looked into nut flours as replacements, but besides the questions about heating them up they are so calorically dense i couldn't justify it.

    i confess i keep a stash of home-made flax focaccia in my freezer. it's cut into tiny squares that i toast and eat with butter and avocado, when i really just want "toast". often i'll go months without eating any, and never have more than 2 pieces in a week. that amounts to less than a tablespoon of flax at a serving.

    i agree with others that anything marketed as "paleo" will only confuse those who aren't really familiar with this woe. i also can imagine people eating loads of this crap, gaining weight and then complaining "paleo doesn't work".
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    Ernest Hemingway

  8. #98
    longing2bfit's Avatar
    longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    587
    I do make "faux" breads using tapioca, potato and white rice flours and cakes using coconut,and macadamia that I grind myself. We each have to approach this in a way that we can sustain and we all come to it for a different reason. Some of us embrace the paleo/primal entire way of life and eating, others are trying to live with gluten intolerence or seeking better health from various issues. Whatever choices one makes are individual and we should respect and wish each other the best. I don't personally like prepackaged foods but like I said in the beginning I will recreate our family favorites in a heartbeat. I am well aware that grok did not bake but bless his heart he didn't have an oven and dammit I do

  9. #99
    Crabbcakes's Avatar
    Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Appalachian Ohio
    Posts
    2,358
    Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    I do make "faux" breads using tapioca, potato and white rice flours and cakes using coconut,and macadamia that I grind myself. We each have to approach this in a way that we can sustain and we all come to it for a different reason. Some of us embrace the paleo/primal entire way of life and eating, others are trying to live with gluten intolerence or seeking better health from various issues. Whatever choices one makes are individual and we should respect and wish each other the best. I don't personally like prepackaged foods but like I said in the beginning I will recreate our family favorites in a heartbeat. I am well aware that grok did not bake but bless his heart he didn't have an oven and dammit I do
    I can totally get behind your way of doing it. Personal, at home, and non-commercial. I just really have the problem with commercial enterprises + the labels "Paleo" or "Primal". The way I understand this WOE, it is very much about ditching corporate labels (among other things, obviously) and bringing the food back home. The egg farmer doesn't say Primal Eggs - they are just eggs.


    (I liked your post )

  10. #100
    Forgotmylastusername's Avatar
    Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
    I hear lots of macho talk about Paleo purity here. But when you come down to it, how many of you never ever cheat? I know that many of you cheat every couple of times per month, even every week. I know many who're barely even 80 / 20. There is actually very few of you that never consume artificial sweeteners, legumes, soy, ice cream, and processed and conventional meats.

    Based on the ingredients listed, the coconut Paleo bread is remarkably Paleo. It is only processed in the sense that it's pulverized flour -- this may not have been attainable back yonder. But it's more than 80-20. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    I never 'cheat' in a sense that I've commited some terrible sabotaging act to my health. I eat foccacia and scones most weeks. I would rather go out and enjoy a coffee and raisin scone than buy or create bizzare mix of funny tasting, more expensive replica bread that isn't even any healthier than regular bread just so I can label it 'paleo' and have it fit into my dietary paradigm. I'm not celiac so i'll just eat some normal bread. There's no 'falling off the wagon' either because I enjoy shopping at the local markets and that provides the food I actually want to make up around 80% of my diet. The only thing I might consider a cheat would be a solitary mindless cake face stuffing and pizza binge at 2am in the morning after 14 beers. lol Something I can proudly say I haven't done in a long long time.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •