Thread: Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain page

Amica is offline Member

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain

Primal Fuel
    This is a really interesting book by John Ratey. It's all about how exercise improves learning, reduces depression and anxiety, and lowers the risk of developing Alzheimer's. The author supports using drugs like antidepressants for some people, but believe that exercise makes the drugs more effective, and that exercise alone can treat mild depression and anxiety.

Has anyone else read it? It's very pro-cardio, and the little information about nutrition is pretty conventional, but the idea of using exercise to keep your brain healthy is totally primal.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Oh noooo chronic cardiooooooo. Epic fail!!!!!!

Just being ironic. Good post - thanks.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Amica is offline Member
    Lol. The author recommends strength training for bone health, but he acknowledges that no research has been done on the effect of strength training on mood. If they did a study, maybe they would find that it's good for your brain too.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I notice a mood boost now with strength training. It took a few weeks of regular strength training for the effect to become noticable. It's immediate.

The modern sedentary lifestyle obviously plays just as big a role as poor diet in the current epidemics in obesity, depression, personality and psychiatric disorders.

Yes primitive tribes mostly avoid all of those, not just because they eat real foods but because they are very active - hunting, gathering, walking and carrying water, making their clothes and shelter, plus using fighting rituals and dancing for play.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I read it and wasn't impressed much. He brings the same arguments and facts over and over and over. As mentioned, there's also nothing about physical activities more complex than running in a circle. It's not worth the money.

I'll save you 20 bucks: exercise is good for the brain.