Thread: Why does my lard smoke when cooking? page

barehard Guest

Primal Fuel

I get noticable black smoke when cooking with lard. I've tried using a lower temperature. Is this normal?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

All I can tell you is your pan is getting too hot. It really shouldn't smoke otherwise.

barehard Guest

Diana you are like my personal adviser on all things primal lol. I did try turning the flame right down, obviously i need to go further. I was thinking it was maybe because it is cheap lard but then I thought fat is fat at the end of the day. My parents think I'm mad using lard and having cream in my coffee. Even though my mum dropped a bottle of wine I handed to her because of her arthritis. It's funny how deep CW goes- I've more or less cured my psoriasis that I'd had for 7 years and she still won't listen!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Cheap lard could also be the problem. I render my own from a boar I bought a while back. Never used the store-bought stuff.

When you heat your pan, heat it slowly. Once you scorch your fat it's scorched. You can always add a little more heat if you need it.

One way to know if you have the right temperature is to drip a bit of your food (egg, batter, whatever) into the fat and see if it cooks right up, or if it takes a couple seconds. If it doesn't cook right up, it's not hot enough yet. Eventually you can tell by sight.

And do get some better quality fat. I don't know about where you are, but the lard in my grocery is partially hydrogenated. What a shame.

barehard Guest

Thanks for the advice Diana. I'll definitely get some decent lard at the farmers market on sunday. I always used to just put my pan on the highest temperature to "melt" the fat then turn it down to cook with. Obviously I got carried away with Mark saying that lard is the most stable fat at higher temperatures.

Brit is offline Junior Member

Diana...you are friggin' hardcore! You render it from a bore? That's awesome. How long does that take to do and where do you get it? Why boar vs. something else?

Just curious...