Thread: My Story - looking for some thoughts/help page

CTabb44 is offline Junior Member

My Story - looking for some thoughts/help

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,

Long time follower on the board and been doing Primal now for about 3+ months.

I want to first thank everyone for the information on this board and the active community; it's been great to get a lot of questions answered.

My journey to Primal has been a long one. I'll do my best to keep the story short.

After living the normal college lifestyle - plenty of drinks, late-night pizza, etc. my digestive issues began to surface. I was always in great shape, played college hoops and professionally overseas, but also had my share of fun. Heartburn accompanies by stints of gas/bloating started to happen. The heartburn was CONSTANT though, especially after the normal trigger foods.

Years of tums, prilosec, etc. and roller coaster ride of relief, not wanting to be on meds, return of symptoms, etc led me to get an upper-GI done. When having this done, inflammation was found, but everything else, heartburn-related, was normal, expect one thing....which was puzzling. I had an overgrowth of Candida in my esophagus....not bad, a patch or two on one side of my esophagus. My doc thought there was no connection and recommended i get tested for the normal things that trigger candida overgrowth.

Long story short, and without the assistance of my doctor, I made connections that my heartburn could be caused by candida overgrowth, probably from years of eating whatever I wanted. The other thing that I remembered was that my heartburn got worse and bloating occurred after being sick with the flu, in which I think I went on antibiotics - it was about a year ago though now....hard to remember. Either way, I have a pretty hi-stress job as event management director and work work lots of weekends, nights. So, based on what i've read, those could all contribute.

So, this is what brings me to today.... I started on an anti-candida diet. Eliminated all added sugar, processed foods, breads, etc. It certainly helped, but was brutal, so restrictive. Much of this diet didn't exactly feel right. Major thing being no fruit or naturally occurring sugars. And, the other thing that didn't feel right was KILLING the candida, which is supposed to be naturally occurring in healthy individuals, but at normal levels. After about 2 months on the diet, I started eating fruits again. But, still haven't eaten breads, grains, etc.

I then did more and more research and realized that I've basically been doing the primal diet. My own 'cheat' foods are quinoa, once a week on average, kefir, greek yogurt, and some organic corn chips.

So, my heartburn is probably 80% better. Definitely happy about it, but still not normal...the burn isn't as bad but i still get discomfort in esophagus, almost like it's irritated or inflamed. Other symptoms, some being new ones and I'm not sure if they are candida-related or from the diet:

muscle cramps in quads and calves, especially at night
    pain underneath left rib cage, comes and goes
    Loss of weight - I am 185 and can't get back up. I'd like to be 195-200....i'm 6'3 so 185 is pretty thin.

I appreciate an help that you guys can provide....direction, thoughts, whatever it may be.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Can you give a typical day's food?
    Also, have you tried Natural Calm for the cramps at night?
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Haven't tried natural calm, no....have taken a magnesium supplement and calcium supplement.

Typical day is like this:

Morning:
    probiotic supplment
    Smoothie with homemade kefir, strawberries, blueberries, 1/4 banana, almond milk and sunwarrior protein
    Snack - nuts or almond butter on rice cakes

Lunch
    Big Ass Salad - meat (tuna, chicken, fish, steak) and olive oil dressing
    snack - Nuts, sunflower seeds,

Dinner
    Meat (Fish, Chix, etc), veggies and MAYBE Quinoa or Brown Rice with it. Sometimes will have Quinoa Pasta.
    Maybe a late night snack
    Before Bed another probiotic and Kefir/Almond Milk drink

Supplements - Multi-vitamin, vitamin C, Mag, Calcium, Potassium, Vitamin E, B-Complex

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I'd swap the quinoa for sweet potatos/plantains/squash and try ditching the nuts to see if that helps with the heartburn. Try the Natural Calm at night-should really help. If you're trying to put on weight, lift heavy and eat more than you have been. Add coconut milk to your smoothies-that'll add a bunch of calories.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Appreciate the advice and feedback.

Just not sure swapping the quinoa is gonna make a difference though.

If I do have candida, I want to get rid of it. That's my biggest concern. Will my current eating habits help clear this up? Do I need to be taking over supplements? Antifungals?

Is fruit really that bad?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    You could try a topical magnesium brine every night before bed along with some extra potassium and sea salt daily. This seems to work for most people around here. I use all three to keep my horrible nightly cramps away. I rub the magnesium in to my skin and drink a glass of water with a pinch of sea salt and a healthy dash of potassium chloride in it every day. Occasionally there is a person who needs a calcium supplement for cramps, but it is less common.

Diary could be the cause of your heartburn. Have you tried eliminating completely for a couple weeks? You could also try adding a little apple cider vinegar to your diet.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know it sounds like stupid science, but I need to take A LOT of magnesium, like 850 mg (which I wouldn't suggest for anyone else). If I try only taking 650 mg, my legs twitch that very same night.

Magnesium is something almost everyone is missing, so it's worth a shot.

For the acid reflux, I used to get it before I went Primal, and I will feel it kind of start to act up again if I'm not eating like I'm supposed to. I whole heartedly agree with taking apple cider vinegar. Store it in the fridge (helps with the taste) and just down a spoonful when the reflux starts to act up. I know it's counterintuitive, but it really works. And don't bother mixing it into a glass of water. Just down it quick, like a shot of tequila.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com