Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Pressure page

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member

Blood Pressure

Primal Fuel
    Well drat...I really would love to stop taking BP meds, but forgot to take my little pill last night and it's up a bit. Not scary-high, but up from my normal med level.

I had a really weird deal last summer which I now believe was an allergic reaction, but it made some REALLY bizarre high BP among other scary symptoms. My doctor put me on meds (I'm 67 and had never taken anything before) and that got it quickly under control.

Not long after that I started doing PB, feeling MUCH better in so many ways, and have lost 25 lbs. since September. (I'm at 164 now, hoping to lose another 25, anyway.) I don't do sugar except in fruit, no HFCS, no wheat, very, very few other grains and those only on occasion.

I'm taking fish oil and vitamin E along with red rice yeast, and just started spirulina.

But drat. Forgot the stupid pill last night and I'm up a bit again, as I say. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Try slow breathing exercises. Seriously. This is a well-accepted strategy for reducing high BP. slow breathing exercises for high blood pressure - Google Search

I bought some CD's that provide pacing (under music) to cue you when to breath in and out. Over the course of several weeks, you are paced to slower and slower breathing. Lower blood pressure naturally

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    I don't do sugar except in fruit, no HFCS, no wheat, very, very few other grains and those only on occasion.
    FWIW, my coworker's blood pressure is sensitive to fruit ingestion.

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    FWIW, my coworker's blood pressure is sensitive to fruit ingestion.
    Wow. I'll watch that. I'm not a HUGE fruit eater, but probably have the equivalent of a serving a day.

And thanks, Martha. I'll pay more attention...I do yoga, but not with as much attention as I should. I appreciate the link!
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Wow. I'll watch that. I'm not a HUGE fruit eater, but probably have the equivalent of a serving a day.
    He ordered a uric acid meter, too. After changing his diet, he was able to get off of his bp meds, which weren't really working for him and had too many side effects. For him, eliminating fructose (even from fruit) and reducing caffeine worked best.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Generally if you're talking allergic reaction/anaphylaxis, it would be a drop in BP not an increase. An anaphylaxis releases histamines which are vasodilators so your BP would have dropped.

Are you a nervous/anxious type person?

And as far as BP being high, without your pill, what was your reading?

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    I'm taking fish oil and vitamin E along with red rice yeast, and just started spirulina.
    Magnesium, calcium, and potassium can help lower blood pressure too. Make sure you're getting enough of those. Since a couple of good sources of potassium .... bananas and white potatoes .... are usually cut from the primal diet, you might have to try harder to find other potassium-rich foods to make up for those.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnivara View Post
    Magnesium, calcium, and potassium can help lower blood pressure too. Make sure you're getting enough of those. Since a couple of good sources of potassium .... bananas and white potatoes .... are usually cut from the primal diet, you might have to try harder to find other potassium-rich foods to make up for those.
    +1
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    I too am Bp medication. But I didn't know that fruit can affect it? Apparently celery is very effective in lowering bp. Will start experimenting soon when my bp machine arrives.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnivara View Post
    Since a couple of good sources of potassium .... bananas and white potatoes .... are usually cut from the primal diet, you might have to try harder to find other potassium-rich foods to make up for those.
    FWIW here is a list of potassium-rich foods. Note the serving sizes as I don't normally sit around eating a whole cup of avocado at a time:

Edit: Actually this is a better list that the one I pasted below. It includes more meat options.

1,000 mg
    Avocado (1 cup)
    Baked potato (8 ounces with skin)
    Beet greens (3/4 cup, cooked)
    Edamame (1 cup shelled, cooked)
    Lima beans (1 cup, cooked)
    Papaya (1 large)
    Sweet potato (1 cup, cooked)

750 mg
    Plantains (1 cup, cooked)
    Salmon (6 ounces, raw)
    Tomato sauce (1 cup)
    Winter squash (1 cup, cooked)

500 mg
    Banana (1 large)
    Beets (1 cup, cooked)
    Cantaloupe (1 cup)
    Dried apricots (12 halves)
    Dried figs (4)
    Orange juice (1 cup)
    Yogurt (1 cup plain low-fat)

250 mg
    Broccoli (1/2 cup, cooked)
    Chicken breast (5 ounces, roasted)
    Dates (5 whole)
    Kiwifruit (1)
    Mango (1)
    Milk (1 cup)
    Nectarine (1)
    Orange (1 medium)
    Peanut butter (2 tablespoons)
    Peanuts (1 ounce, about 1/4 cup)
    Pear (1 large)
    Raisins (1/4 cup)
    Strawberries (1 cup)
    Zucchini (1/2 cup, cooked)
    Last edited by carlh; 04-07-2012 at 04:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast