Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry itchy skin page

Dry itchy skin

Primal Fuel
    I am on week 6 of the whole30. I seem to have more and more itchy dry skin. I am thinking it's because I have lost quite a bit of weight (fat). The area that it seems the worst is where I have wrinkles of skin now (because it's not shrunk yet). Is this normal or am I missing something that would be causing this?

I am 5-5" I started at 138lbs and though I have not weighed myself, I am down a pant size and taken an inch each off my thigh, waist and hips.

I am eating fats (nuts, avocado, olive oil..)
    I have no dairy or grain.
    No alcohol except maybe 1 drink every 2 weeks
    No sugar

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    It couldn't hurt to eat more fats. And have you reviewed the products that you use on your skin? You say nothing about that but since you are still relatively new to PB, maybe the itch is just a transitional symptom?

Its a great opportunity to try new, more emollient products for yourself. I like Acure shampoo (no more itchy) and just saw this product, I might suggest for my Mom:

The Seaweed Bath Co. | Fighting Flaking and Scaling Skin Naturally

Congrats on the changing measurements; provided that's what you were going for!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I'd make sure to make and drink some bone broth. Likely to fix you up. Some of the many great attributes of bone broth here....

http://www.jadeinstitute.com/jade/bo...h-building.php
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-05-2012 at 12:20 PM.

I'll have to try the bone broth.

The soap I use is a hand made from a local lady. I have been using it for the past 2 years. BUT it could be the essential oils in that particular bar, since I got some new scents last time.

I am hoping since the major issues I had before Paleo/Primal were inflammatory skin and tissue issues, this is just a phase of the "detox" on my body from grains, dairy and sugars.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth and some fermented food to replace gut bacteria!! You need to heal your gut, skin symptoms are symptoms of a gut that is not in good health.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

activia is offline Senior Member
    Also try some green pastures cod liver oil/butter blend taken with fatty food
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Great topic, guys. I'm wondering a little about this, myself. I often found commercial moisturizers to not work so well. I have three big tubs sitting, and taking up space. I've yet to try coconut oil, on my skin. I may try it, some day. But, since tightening lifestyle screws, my skin has been less of an issue. But, this doesn't mean I won't be willing to try some of the suggestions, like bone broth.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Linny is offline Senior Member
    I had really bad dry skin, especially on my hands for the first 3 months after transitioning to PB. It was actually quite painful. I'm happy to say that it's resolved itself.

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthyphysique View Post
    I'll have to try the bone broth.

The soap I use is a hand made from a local lady. I have been using it for the past 2 years. BUT it could be the essential oils in that particular bar, since I got some new scents last time.

I am hoping since the major issues I had before Paleo/Primal were inflammatory skin and tissue issues, this is just a phase of the "detox" on my body from grains, dairy and sugars.
    I make soap and my guess is that you're right about the fragrance being the culprit.
    Usually, handcrafted soap (well-made) is absolutely the best and doesn't dry skin at all.

No one knows the ingredients in modern skin-safe fragrant oils (manufacturing secret).
    The most-irritating essential oils are:
    - Cinnamon,
    - Citronella,
    - Clove,
    - Eucalyptus,
    - Ginger,
    - Lemon Balm (Balm Mint),
    - Tolu Balsam (Peru Balsam),
    - Peppermint,
    - Pine,
    - Thyme

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks, this is all great advice! Yes my hands itch, not to where it interferes with activity but mostly at night when I go to bed I notice it.

Going to check into healing my gut and buy the sensitive skin soap next time. Thanks guys much appreciated!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast