Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma
4 cups whole milk (I use cream!)4 eggs (preferably free-range)4 egg yolks1 cup sugar1 Tbsp vanilla extractFreshly grated or ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. Place 12 4-ounce ovenproof cups (you can use ramekins,
or coffee cups marked as oven-safe) in a deep baking pan just large enough to
3. In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer over
4. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs,
yolks, sugar, and vanilla.
5. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the simmering milk,
whisking gently to combine.
6. Pour the mixture through a fine strainer into the cups
(if the strainer clogs, use a spoon to scrape it clean), then sprinkle lightly
with the nutmeg.
7. Pour hot (not boiling) water into the pan until it
reaches halfway up the sides of the cups.
8. Bake until the custard is just set (it can still be a
little loose), 30 to 35 minutes.
9. Let the custard cool in the water bath for about 2 hours
Awesome, thank you!! I will be trying this out soon.