Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on Blood type page 7

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    This is true... skinny fat people actually have a lower life expectancy and more health issues than moderately overweight people do.
    Are you skinny fat?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Are you skinny fat?
    Oh no... not I, I'm overweight but whittling it very slowly down towards normal. But I do read alot and have seen studies indicating that underweight and particularly skinnyfat people are pretty exceptionally unhealthy in the grand scheme of things. The outlook is often just as bad as people who are obese.
    Fierce has claimed skinnyfat status in other threads.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Oh no... not I, I'm overweight but whittling it very slowly down towards normal. But I do read alot and have seen studies indicating that underweight and particularly skinnyfat people are pretty exceptionally unhealthy in the grand scheme of things. The outlook is often just as bad as people who are obese.
    Fierce has claimed skinnyfat status in other threads.
    Glad to hear it.

Yes, underweight and skinny fat are unhealthy. I've read plenty of peer-reviewed articles showing that being overweight during middle age confers the greatest longevity. BMI of around 29 in women and 30 in men is optimal. Obviously high lean mass helps.

So, it seems that if I want to lose more weight it's down to vanity, and not about optimal health.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Try not to, don't click on the link, nooooooo......
    Change Your Genetic Destiny / The GenoType Diet
    This book is freaktastically good.

Attachment 6741
    It's endorsed by Dr. Oz?? there isn't anything else to say.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Glad to hear it.

Yes, underweight and skinny fat are unhealthy. I've read plenty of peer-reviewed articles showing that being overweight during middle age confers the greatest longevity. BMI of around 29 in women and 30 in men is optimal. Obviously high lean mass helps.

So, it seems that if I want to lose more weight it's down to vanity, and not about optimal health.
    now if i was a reductionist, i would say "oh, i need to raise my BMI! Mmmm chocolate cake *is* good for my health!!" since i'm quite a few points under that BMI. granted, i'm a little skeptical of that, and think that it boils down to having a higher lean body mass and a little bit of fat.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    now if i was a reductionist, i would say "oh, i need to raise my BMI! Mmmm chocolate cake *is* good for my health!!" since i'm quite a few points under that BMI. granted, i'm a little skeptical of that, and think that it boils down to having a higher lean body mass and a little bit of fat.

I hear that... My son has sightly high BMI if you go by the standard calculator because he carries a large amount of lean mass from lifting weights... not from being "fat", though he isn't "cut" and I really hope he never gets into that type thing. Most of the time according to statistics that whole "ultrafit" CUT thing doesn't come out too healthy either because of the way most people achieve those results I guess. Many bodybuilders have some super unhealthy diet practices.

The underweight/skinnyfat results are quite shocking though to some people who believe that simply being very thin is the healthiest thing in the world and who sneer at anyone even in the upper normal weight range as a bunch of "fat asses" who only eat crap and are all going to die............ but who are actually statistically a LOT healthier.

It is what it is.
    I have so many medical issues I know that I will never be in tip top shape again like when I was in my 20's. And that isn't a defeatist attitude, that is medical science. But I know that I can be in better shape than I currently am, and I'm working towards that. SLOWLY. My doctors highly approve of slowly actually. My Neuro doc told me just the other day that it is changes in life patterns that end in positive results, not DIETS. She sees people who crash off weight all the time, just to see them "crash it back on".
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Isis is offline Senior Member
    Half my family are type O's and coconuts have been traditionally in their diets (majority of Filipinos are Type O). so cannot agree that all O's should avoid coconut in all forms. I've certainly had no problem with using coconut oil daily.

JudyMac is offline Member
    I'm O- and have tried it.

It is right on certain foods, certain of which give me stomach issues and gas. Cauliflower, egg whites, pork, wheat and legumes being major issues for me. On other things it was wrong, I get on well with small amount of raw milk cheese and fresh coconut water.

Many people forget that blood types are not just X, we in fact have three markers XXX. Your dominant type is O but you could have B in there as well. Genetics may play a bigger role.

If your racial background is Scottish for instance, you have a generally low tolerance for carbs. Racial genetics were seen as dominant enough that even Ancel Keyes remarked on it in the 70s when the present HCLF diet was introduced. It has also been noted that if you want to prove certain foods are good, then you do your study in an area where people are well adapted to that form of diet.

The Scientist is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyMac View Post
    I'm O- and have tried it.

It is right on certain foods, certain of which give me stomach issues and gas. Cauliflower, egg whites, pork, wheat and legumes being major issues for me. On other things it was wrong...
    With a large set of unfounded predictions (blood type diet), a seemingly random mix of correct and incorrect results is expected. This is about the most blatant display of BS that I have ever come across, and it has absolutely zero basis in reality. The antigens coded for by the A, B and O alleles have absolutely nothing to do with a person's response to food metabolically of immunologically. Anyone who buys this nonsense need to realize that they lack the basic knowledge about genetics, cell biology, and physiology to evaluate claims like these. Either educate yourself, or stop claiming to know what you are talking about.

Also, the term "anecdotal evidence" is next to meaningless. Anecdotes are not evidence and never will be. There is "anecdotal evidence" for the existence of Sasquatch, the accuracy of horoscopes, and for diving spirits of the dead. Choose your sources of evidence wisely.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    I follow paleo blood type diet and its right on. Never felt better. I followed Paleo first and just made it slightly tighter by blood typing it. Im an O, and even though they can eat some grains I stay away from them. So I am inline with Paleo and blood type eating. Im sure it will continue to get bashed on here by some, just in the same way that a forum supporting blood type eating would bash paleo. Its the way of the world.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast