Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Yoga, anyone? page 4

Ouaouaron is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bit harsh, perhaps it is just not your "cup of tea"

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    Fuck yoga!
    An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
    -Somebody funny

spinney is offline Junior Member
    I do like a little Yoga, get a few odd looks posing on the canal, bank but he ho.

mzteaze is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavequeen View Post
    I do vinyasa flow myself when I get to take a studio class. I can handle warm class but hot bikram is not my friend with high blood pressure, too high of heat gives me headaches and migraines. I am still definitely sweating and feeling muscles fatigue especially in arms and legs. I probably need to alternate with more core based yoga and oilseed but I haven't is because I loathe it. Lol

Edit- oilseed, autocorrect? I think I typed pilates. Lol
    The oilseed made me giggle. I love Pilates too. I went to yoga to get more flexibility to be able to progress more in Pilates.

cavequeen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mzteaze View Post
    The oilseed made me giggle. I love Pilates too. I went to yoga to get more flexibility to be able to progress more in Pilates.
    I am happy with my progress everywhere but my lower tummy pouch and hips. I am definitely losing inches and getting toned in my upper waist. I like to blame my twin belly but the truth as my DH reminds me "fondly" is that it is not my skin having lost elasticity there as much as that's where I have gained fat. I know this is true because I have been 25 lbs thinner and not as much a problem.

But the more I am losing in my upper waist just makes the lower stand out more. I think it's just where my body likes to hold on to fat but maybe more boat poses and pilates would help ( it still likes to sub oilseed for pilates WTH? Lol)

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I would say to stay away from more boat poses (people have a tendency to push their lower belly out in that posture) and make sure that your *mountain pose* is absolutely *spot on*. I know that seems counter-intuitive, but if you stand properly, your lower belly will automatically start to draw in, and then the muscles will get stronger from there without "pooching" or "pushing" them out.

Next, you'll work mula bandha, which is best worked from on your back doing shoulderstand prep postures to really feel where that muscle is and how to work it.

Really, that's all you need to do because you can't "spot reduce" through exercise. The main thing is to get the muscles working properly so thaty ou feel good and develop good posture.

Finally, what will really "hit" that area and make it look great is: decreasing body fat.

This will happen over time, so don't worry about it so much. I always had a "pooch" on my lower belly since I went through puberty. When I went primal, it *went away*.

Honestly, not eating grains is what did it for me. For years I ate whole foods, ate all kinds of good stuff, and exercised. I was as lean as could be (118 lb triathlete; currently 128 'normal whatever' person), and still had that pad of fat.

Then, two weeks after going primal. No more pad of fat. Or, it's so small that it looks normal or whatever. So that's pretty sweet.

cavequeen is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, zoebird. That's kind of what I was thinking as well because I was doing a lot more core stuff for a while and the pouch hasn't really moved much except for the bloating gone from not eating grains. The good news is I have lost around 9-10 lbs so I have about 20-30 lbs more to get to my best weight.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. It'll come down.

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    I enjoy yoga but don't do it nearly enough as I should. Will make the effort to incorporate it at least once a week. Classes are good but I also use the Giggs (Welsh footballer) yoga dvd at home.

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Conway View Post
    I enjoy yoga but don't do it nearly enough as I should. Will make the effort to incorporate it at least once a week. Classes are good but I also use the Giggs (Welsh footballer) yoga dvd at home.
    Had NO clue Ryan giggs had a yoga DVD. Is it the fitness DVD or a specific yoga based one? Love this! How do you like it?

wac
    wac is offline Junior Member
    Anyone who considers themselves fit should go along to a proper Bikram Yoga class. You'll quickly re-evaluate. It's amazing how many people consider Yoga to just be about flexibility. There's a huge amount of strength and endurance involved! I can't do more than once a week. Some maniac I know did 30 days of Bikram in a row. Props to him!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast