Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF'ing and body temp? page

janaturner is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I've been doing a 20-24 hr (dinner to dinner) IF once a week for the past month or so and I've noticed that I'm freezing during the day until my first meal. Tried googling but didn't find much. Is this anything to be concerned about? The drop in body temp is definitely related to the IF since I'm consistently fine the day before and the day after.

Wyattlulz Guest

"Serum from humans following an IF diet had positive effects (reduced triglycerides in men and increased HDL in women, as well as reduced cell proliferation and increased heat resistance) in vitro on human hepatoma cells[10]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting

Possibly related.

animalcule is offline Senior Member

My body temp drops enough that I am uncomfortable with longer than 12 hours between meals. Fasting is not for me (FWIW I'm quite underweight and eat a lot of calories).

Considering that this phenomena is common in people undergoing starvation (especially eating disorders), I feel that if your body's reaction to prolonged caloric restriction is to cut body heat production, it can't be a good thing.

Thanks. I did a bit more searching and there were a few sugestions that it was the metabolism slowing down - don't think that's a good thing!

Crap, it was convenient and I was hoping to break through a plateau. I may try a shorter window and see what happens.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

Happens to me too. I get super cold. I was ice climbing while fasting and my hands/feet would get unbearably cold.

The body's natural function is to keep vital organs running so it pulls back on bloodflow to the extremeties.

I grok, therefore I am.

avocado is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I have an interest in trying IF (but need to just get my diet good first). But the prospect of being cold scares me. I have had that problem a long time, and I hate it. One thing I noticed when I tried Atkins Induction was that I was noticeably warmer, and it felt amazing.

Ouis is offline Member

me three (or five or whatever). space heaters, electric blankets, warm clothes--the works. I think it is what happens when you burn fat--even some of the regular lowcarb people were complaining about it

Greg B is offline Junior Member

I don't have temperature problems unless I am both sleep- and calorie-deprived.

I do take cold showers (rarely) and go out in winter weather without a jacket (quite often), or slightly underdress for snowtime adventures (nearly every time). I've found that the more I engage in these activities the less I get chills under any circumstances.

Sterling is offline Member

Metabolic adaptation is one reason that you get cold. Plus, your body isn't processing any food. I always notice that I get hotter when I sleep if I've followed a long fast with significant food intake. Also, the lower your body fat the more likely you are to get cold(er). Your metabolism does slow down a bit but not significantly enough to slow down fat loss until you hit +72hr mark.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing any serious damage! I'll stick with it and see how things go over a longer time frame (i.e. more than a month, not more than 24 hrs).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast