Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimchi? page

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Kimchi?

So I'm working on gut health, and happen to have a love affair with korean probiotic wonder food, kimchi! Is anyone else making their own kimchi? Any tips? Recipes you love? I'm going to try making it on Monday!!!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Never heard of it - Im a Kefir lover!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I love kimchi, although it has way too much sodium for me to eat it in the quantity I'd like. I have never made my own kimchi, I understand the traditional method for making kimchi is a family affair and is fairly time consuming, since it needs to ferment for months. Where I live, there are a lot of Asian supermarkets that sells fresh kimchi (is fresh kimchi an oxymoron?) in open self-serve bins that are superior to the stuff that come from plastic jars.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

mrsmcmeaty is offline Member
    I make my own kimchi following the recipe on Dr Ben Kim's website ( he's Korean so he knows what he's talking about!)

Easy-peasy and it keeps forever in the fridge, I like mine quite 'ripe' so I have one batch that's nearly 2 years old for those gourmet moments...

Dr. Ben Kim .com - Experience Your Best Health
    Last edited by mrsmcmeaty; 04-05-2012 at 05:13 AM. Reason: included link
    There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I've been making my own for a few months now and it's easy and delicious. I used this recipe as a guide: Cook the Book: Quick Kimchi | Serious Eats : Recipes

I think there is a typo as it calls for only 1 cup of water to 1/4 cup of salt. I use way more water to cover the cabbage and probably less salt. I've done it without daikon and with boh choy instead of napa. To me, the napa cabbage is much tastier. The daikon adds a little crunch and bulk, but I don't really miss it when it's not there.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I haven't tried Kimchi yet, but I'm having a lot of fun with fermentation. As a general rule, the more salt, the slower it ferments. If you use the amount of salt many recipes call for and have a cool (around 50-60 degrees) place for it to ferment and use fresh organic cabbage, there is no need to use whey or any starter culture. There is an alternative method where you use much less salt and some kind of starter culture (vegetable starter cultures available online are probably better than whey because whey isn't the same strains as naturally grown in vegetables) and ferment at warm room temperature for just a few days before refrigerating. I have brussel sprouts fermenting now and am hoping to start some beets tomorrow.

kitoi is offline Senior Member

You don't need much salt, I used 1tsp for 1/2 cabbage

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Great! Thanks for the advice about the salt, some of the recipes I have looked at have a TON of salt!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post

You don't need much salt, I used 1tsp for 1/2 cabbage
    Pardon my idiocy, but, for what, is the top apparatus? TIA.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Pardon my idiocy, but, for what, is the top apparatus? TIA.
    It's an airlock. It's filled with water and it lets gas escape when the pressure in the jar gets higher than the atmospheric pressure outside the jar. This keeps the jar from exploding or leaking fluid. I'm lazy so I just place my jars on a plastic tray and let them leak while they ferment at room temperature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast